Weight lifting for beginners

Options
13»

Replies

• Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    According to a TDEE calculator with light activity it says you should be eating 2172 calories. This number will change with your activity level.

Oh thank you for working that out for me. That amount seems like a lot. I actually ate 1450 calories yesterday and I felt extremely full and bloated. I had to go to the gym twice yesterday and burned around 800 calories but I still felt full and generally awful.

I don't know what to tell you.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    According to a TDEE calculator with light activity it says you should be eating 2172 calories. This number will change with your activity level.

Oh thank you for working that out for me. That amount seems like a lot. I actually ate 1450 calories yesterday and I felt extremely full and bloated. I had to go to the gym twice yesterday and burned around 800 calories but I still felt full and generally awful.

It sounds like you may be underweight.

Also, fullness isn't an indication of eating too much.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I just want this girl to lift.

Thank you :) you have certainly convinced me. Now if only I can find a program that's not too difficult for a complete beginner.

I started with strong lifts. It's pretty straight forward.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It will help to improve your body composition, but you may be eating too harsh of a deficit. What is your height, weight, and age?

I'm nearly 25 years old. I weigh 47kg which is around 103 pounds. Oh and my height is 5'2 (157cm)

5'2" and 103 Lbs...I personally don't think you need to be dieting at all. Why are you trying to lose weight...that's already pretty low. I'm thinking you should just eat maintenance and lift to work on body re-composition. It takes time because it's "detail" work. I just don't really see how you would actually need to lose weight only weighing 103 Lbs. My wife is 5'2" and 120 Lbs with a rockin' body.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    If your not over weight, try increasing your calories a little above maintenance... in order to build muscle tone your body needs extra fuel to build from, eating at a deficit and strength training will help you to maintain muscle tone while reducing your weight, but it won't really build muscle... But since your already at a low weight you don't need to "lose" more weight but really want to show more muscule tone. So basically find out what your maintenance cals are (the amount you need to just to wake up and live) then increase that by a couple hundred calories, then heavy lift, as someone else suggested try the stronglifts 5 x 5 (search online it will pop up) You'll find that "flab" on your belly will decrease and muscle will show instead :)
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    From your diary, you're under-eating. Most days, you get very little protein. Your calorie intake is inconsistent - some days you eat 1300 calories, other days you only eat 700. Also, your goal weight of 80 kilos is way too low.

I recommend you slowly increase your calorie intake. Figure out your TDEE (there are online calculators for this), and subtract 10-15% for a small deficit for fat loss. Lift heavy. Be patient. You're already very light, so fat loss will be slow - be prepared for only 0.5 to 1 pound a week loss, at best. Anything faster, and you're losing muscle, not fat.

As a vegan, you need to find better ways to get protein in your diet. Without it, you won't get the results you're looking for. Good luck!
  • VeganHippo
    VeganHippo Posts: 26
    Options
    From your diary, you're under-eating. Most days, you get very little protein. Your calorie intake is inconsistent - some days you eat 1300 calories, other days you only eat 700. Also, your goal weight of 80 kilos is way too low.

I recommend you slowly increase your calorie intake. Figure out your TDEE (there are online calculators for this), and subtract 10-15% for a small deficit for fat loss. Lift heavy. Be patient. You're already very light, so fat loss will be slow - be prepared for only 0.5 to 1 pound a week loss, at best. Anything faster, and you're losing muscle, not fat.

As a vegan, you need to find better ways to get protein in your diet. Without it, you won't get the results you're looking for. Good luck!

Hi thank you for pointing that out. My calorie intake is so inconsistent because I do a lot binge eating. For example today i ate 3 packs of walkers crisps!! And as a vegan who doesn't cook for herself, I find it really difficult to get protein. Most of my protein comes from bread unfortunately.
  • VeganHippo
    Options
    If your not over weight, try increasing your calories a little above maintenance... in order to build muscle tone your body needs extra fuel to build from, eating at a deficit and strength training will help you to maintain muscle tone while reducing your weight, but it won't really build muscle... But since your already at a low weight you don't need to "lose" more weight but really want to show more muscule tone. So basically find out what your maintenance cals are (the amount you need to just to wake up and live) then increase that by a couple hundred calories, then heavy lift, as someone else suggested try the stronglifts 5 x 5 (search online it will pop up) You'll find that "flab" on your belly will decrease and muscle will show instead :)

Thank you :) and thank you to everyone else who responded.
  • VeganHippo
    Options
    I recommend reading Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting first. Knowledge is power. The more you know about weight lifting, the safer and more confident you will be.

After you get some knowledge, you can do the Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting, Stronglifts 5x5, 5/3/1, etc depending on what you choose.

I'm definitely going to look into that tonight. Your help is much appreciated :)
  • shezll
    shezll Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    To be honest I have read both the threads that you have started. I am really concerned about you. Maybe you should see your Doctor and get your IBS under control. You won't feel quite so bloated then. Do you know the facts about it? and what foods to avoid? etc.

The calories you are taking in don't appear to be enough. You should get some advice from a proffesional about your eating. On how to achieve your basic nutrition that your body needs. How long have you been a vegan?
  • shezll
    Options
    Also

Lifting is AMAZING!! You will need to up your protein though. There are many ways to do this but I don't think bread is the answer. Do you like nuts?

Any way I really hope you get the answers and the help that you need. :flowerforyou:
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I think the people above have largely covered the eating points but back to the main title... I think you should research and experiment more on lifting weights before you try to hit the heavy iron... Maybe try light weights and body weight exercises to perfect your forms for the first several weeks - at least then you'll have a clear cut idea of what exercises hit what area. Only after having moderate - in depth knowledge should you attempt any heavy lifts. You can get seriously injured if you are not careful and these injuries are usually permanent.

Be careful but most of all have fun! ????
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Your deficit is too low IMO

Do you mean I need to increase my deficit by reducing my calorie intake? Or do you mean too low as in too high and I need to eat more? Sorry I'm confused as I seem to be getting mixed responses. Thank you for your help.

Yes far too low. I eat 2000+ calories a day and i'm still hungry. I do a 5 day split so I'm lifting every day though. Seriously 1200 cals a day is not suitable if you are serious about starting a lifting routine.

I agree-- it's not like you have to pig out, but running a very slight calorie surplus for a few months will do you good later on. It's like putting money in the bank and collecting interest. Pack of on some muscle and just bleed the fat off slowly with a slight calorie deficit later-- but keep training, of course.
  • hilaryhill
    hilaryhill Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I am a beginner at lifting, too. I just started the StrongLifts 5x5 on Friday. Its a very simple program for beginners, there is a group here on MFP that explains it very well. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary Just a few exercises you do a few times a week, but add on a little weight each workout. Look into it! :)
  • marygoodnight007
    Options
    You've been at huge calorie deficit for so long your body is probably used to it by now but you have to eat more (WAAAAY more) or you won't see the effects of lifting at all. You need to eat your TDEE or TDEE minus 15% and yeah it's going to be rough while your body tries to figure out what all this food is. I just started eating at my TDEE and I still get bloated and sometimes it seems like a LOT OF FOOD but you have to EAT THE FOOD to lift the weights. Although you mentioned binging and I don't binge since I started eating more. It's also probably a good time to point out that muscle weighs more than fat. If you have a perfect number in your head that you think you have to weigh it will not help you get there.
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'll be harsh!!

You don't need to lose weight and losing weight will not make you look the way you want to!!!

I could be wrong but you are already at a very low weight and not happy with your look. I don't think just losing weight will improve/change your look a great deal and is unlikely to be healthy or sustainable. If you want that tight, flat, fit look then lifting is the way to go.

Hard work and not a quick fix but worth it in the long run.
  • VeganHippo
    Options
    To be honest I have read both the threads that you have started. I am really concerned about you. Maybe you should see your Doctor and get your IBS under control. You won't feel quite so bloated then. Do you know the facts about it? and what foods to avoid? etc.

The calories you are taking in don't appear to be enough. You should get some advice from a proffesional about your eating. On how to achieve your basic nutrition that your body needs. How long have you been a vegan?

Hi thank you so much for your concern and your helpful reply :) I've had IBS for as long as I can remember and I have seen the doctor on several occassions in the past but nothing seemed to have worked. In the end I simply gave up and now I just live with it.

I have been a vegan for 4 and a half years. Oh and I love nuts but it causes severe diarrhea if I eat too many. I'm assuming that's because of the IBS.

I think the people above have largely covered the eating points but back to the main title... I think you should research and experiment more on lifting weights before you try to hit the heavy iron... Maybe try light weights and body weight exercises to perfect your forms for the first several weeks - at least then you'll have a clear cut idea of what exercises hit what area. Only after having moderate - in depth knowledge should you attempt any heavy lifts. You can get seriously injured if you are not careful and these injuries are usually permanent.

Be careful but most of all have fun! ????

Thank you for your advice. This is the friendliest forum I've ever been on :)
    I agree-- it's not like you have to pig out, but running a very slight calorie surplus for a few months will do you good later on. It's like putting money in the bank and collecting interest. Pack of on some muscle and just bleed the fat off slowly with a slight calorie deficit later-- but keep training, of course.

That certainly makes sense. Thank you :)
    I am a beginner at lifting, too. I just started the StrongLifts 5x5 on Friday. Its a very simple program for beginners, there is a group here on MFP that explains it very well. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary Just a few exercises you do a few times a week, but add on a little weight each workout. Look into it! :)

Oh thank you for the link. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Thank you marygoodnight and kristyfairhea and thank you to everyone on this forum for being so helpful :)
  • shezll
    Options
    Hi thank you so much for your concern and your helpful reply :) I've had IBS for as long as I can remember and I have seen the doctor on several occassions in the past but nothing seemed to have worked. In the end I simply gave up and now I just live with it.

I'm sorry I know on this thread you was asking about lifting, but I really think that you should get this issue sorted. Please don't give up and just live with it.
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I am a beginner lifter and I started 'New Rules of Lifting For Women' today. I read the book a while back and was all set to go but bottled it at the gym. Today I went and just did it, its very simple to start with and easy to do.

There is a group on here for it http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w- which if you read through the stickies is very helpful on getting started (the book can be a little confusing when it comes to the actual workouts but its just the layout of the book) I walked out of the gym on air today, the first thought in my head was 'I can't wait for Tuesday' (next time I am due in the gym) I have ached today but I love it.

Stronglifts is very simple. You can go on the stronglifts site and get the info but to be honest the group on here is better. There is a sticky at the top that explains the workouts better than the guy does. workout A and B are both on you tube so you can watch them and make sure you know what you want to be doing. The ladies on the group are very very helpful if you have questions.

For me, I chose to start NROLFW because it has a bit more variety for me at this stage. I may move onto SL at a later date.

With your IBS you need to find your trigger foods, once you have them worked out you can control it. If you don't already take something then colpermin can really help and Buscopan is good for cramps. I am in the UK and these are over the counter items and they both really helped me before I learnt to control it.

Good luck in whatever lifting routine you decide to follow.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I agree with wolfman. At the very least, you should be eating at maintenance and working recomposition. This will also require you to eat a lot of protein to help maintain your lean body mass. If you struggle to get at least 80-100g of protein, then you really need to search vegan/vegetarian sources of proteins (beans, lentils, legumes, etc..) or stop being vegan.

I do agree with wheird, that fat loss occurs during a calorie deficit but the issue that the OP has is a lack of adequate muscle mass. Essentially, gaining new muscle will lower her effective body fat %. Even though I agree recomposition should be done at the very least, I think it would be faster and more effective to do a few bulk/cut cycles, pending the OP can get past her image/eating issues. Being underweight makes it very difficult to have adequate definition due to the lack of lean body mass. Adding 10-20 lbs of mass would greatly increase the amount of definition. Reference the below story for an example of what I mean. Additionally, there a bunch of women on this forum with similar stories.

Realistically, I would work recomposition until you can get past some image issues/food issues but those need to be addressed first. Once you do that, then you can bulk/cut to gain new muscle. But at 102 lbs, I would think it would be a huge struggle to get the body you crave.

Additionally, OP, i would look into our group section and get advice of those with IBS. From my experience, the people I know with IBS, tend to do better with a gluten free or low carb diet (opposite of your current diet). Keep in mind that regardless of the diet, you can achieve the results you want with good education and dedication.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/