Didn't enjoy my cheat day

Options
2»

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,925 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Part of the reason you were so uneasy is because it is all relatively new and you still don't trust the process 100%.

I definitely was way more obsessive when I first started. After a while you realise that what you do everyday is what matters, not the occasional indulgence.

As long as you don't go "hog wild" (let's face it, I can probably still pack 5,000 cal if i hit an all you can eat buffet and allow myself free reign)

So feeling guilty for eating a 2000 Cal dinner with family or friends? Not if it was delicious!

If you weigh yourself everyday you would expect to see an additional water weight gain that will go away in a day or two.

Working an evening out into your weekly calories is normally quite doable depending on your deficit level.

Happy Birthday!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    First of all, you are losing too much weight too fast. 1 pound per week should be your goal, then you won't really need a cheat day.

I think you are setting yourself up for failure and discouragement.

It's only a few weeks in. There is an initial huge drop in water weight. It's unlikely she created a 21,000 calorie deficit and lost pure fat.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Suhrah623 wrote: »
    I think the problem is that this is all new to me. I am not new to MFP, as I've used it in the past to log exercises, but I have never logged calories before.
    I just wanted to hear feedback from people who can recall back to when they first started logging calories and if they remembered if they felt the same way that I do. That's all. I'm sure I'll get over the irrationality of the whole thing soon.
    And thanks for everybody for the helpful advice!

Yeah, I had Labor Day right after I started this and I avoided a barbecue. Crazy.

Now? I enjoy holidays and birthdays. These things rarely come up more than once a month so I just eat and move on.

Maybe what you need to do is see that it doesn't impact your scale (perhaps temporary water weight, but you will probably still lose for the week).

Finally, losing 6 pounds your first two-three weeks isn't extreme. Most of that was water weight. You shouldn't worry about it. Your rate of loss should be slower now.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    First of all, you are losing too much weight too fast. 1 pound per week should be your goal, then you won't really need a cheat day.

I didn't mean to lose that much. I have it set to lose 1.5 lbs per week. I thought that was a reasonable goal? No?
    It's been 3 weeks.

If you make your goal 1 pound per week, you will only need to minus about 500 calories per day from your diet, and that, IMO, is not enough to make a person feel like they have to have a cheat day. If you want to eat something more, take a 2 mile walk or jog or bike ride to burn off more calories.

It takes years to put on weight and most people try to lose it too quickly, and that in turn causes them to not eat enough to fuel their body properly, and that causes them to feel like they have to cheat, and that is very frustrating and discouraging. Then they go off their diet and wind up weighing more than they did in the first place, and it just creates a cycle of failures.

It's not just a diet, it's a life style change, but do it slowly and gradually, and you will see that it is quite doable that way.

I was 225 pounds 6 months or so ago. My goal is 1 pound a week and I now weigh about 196. I have been losing a pound a week, and will reach my goal of 170 in another 6 months or so. By that time I will have gotten so used to my increased activity level and the calorie intake that it will be my new normal.

Nature happens very slowly... don't rush it...:)
  • Suhrah623
    Suhrah623 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

I didn't mean to lose that much. I have it set to lose 1.5 lbs per week. I thought that was a reasonable goal? No?
    It's been 3 weeks.

If you make your goal 1 pound per week, you will only need to minus about 500 calories per day from your diet, and that, IMO, is not enough to make a person feel like they have to have a cheat day. If you want to eat something more, take a 2 mile walk or jog or bike ride to burn off more calories.

It takes years to put on weight and most people try to lose it too quickly, and that in turn causes them to not eat enough to fuel their body properly, and that causes them to feel like they have to cheat, and that is very frustrating and discouraging. Then they go off their diet and wind up weighing more than they did in the first place, and it just creates a cycle of failures.

It's not just a diet, it's a life style change, but do it slowly and gradually, and you will see that it is quite doable that way.

I was 225 pounds 6 months or so ago. My goal is 1 pound a week and I now weigh about 196. I have been losing a pound a week, and will reach my goal of 170 in another 6 months or so. By that time I will have gotten so used to my increased activity level and the calorie intake that it will be my new normal.

Nature happens very slowly... don't rush it...:)

I really do appreciate the advice, but I honestly wasn't trying to rush it...I know that weight loss is a gradual thing and that it's a lifestyle choice. My calories ARE set for 500 less than my TDEE.

• Suhrah623
    Suhrah623 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    ^actutally it's set for 510 less. Just to be technical.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    ^actutally it's set for 510 less. Just to be technical.

Your goal is fine.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    My wife was lamenting the lack of my gray hairs the other day (at 43), and I thought to myself, "It's because I don't do things that stress me out, or think in a way that stresses me out."

Guilt is stress.

You should eat in a way that fuels your body and goals, and leaves you guilt-free. If there is no other rule to guide you, I'd let that be your guide.

I'm all for living a life guilt-free. I think it's a wasted human emotion.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I just wanted to hear feedback from people who can recall back to when they first started logging calories and if they remembered if they felt the same way that I do.

Yeah, starting real food logging can be an emotional experience, for all kinds of reasons. Personally, I was, like, "holy crap did I ever eat like a pig!" with all kinds of attached self-guilt (all gone now). Others get anxious about all kinds of things, from missing a macro by one gram to "perfect" macros to etc etc etc.

As it becomes more of a routine for you, the emotional side can become less of an issue, but it will depend on you. If you're an "anxious" person by nature, it very well might not, so you'll have to find your own best way of dealing with that reality.

Good luck!

:drinker:
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    I've been working really hard the last couple weeks on logging my calories and eating right and have lost around 6 lbs so far.
    Last night my husband and I went out for my birthday and I just couldn't enjoy it. I tried to order something on the healthier side because I felt like I was just going to sabatoge all the work I've done lately. Ugh, but then they give you all that delicous bread before your meal comes! Anyway, I just felt anxious the whole time about it all.
    Is this feeling normal? and if so, does it go away eventually? I want to enjoy life and not be afraid of gaining weight everytime I have a cheat day!

so don't cheat dawg idk lol

lift heavy so you can eat more

a lot of us are eating 2500-3500 calories a day because of our activity level

no need to cheat when you already have to shove that much food in your face daily just to maintain
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's early so the feeling may go away but I personally don't like looking at meals as cheat meals. I don't like giving food a negative connotation. I don't cheat. I work everything into my calorie allotment. If I go over for some reason, it's just a day I ate a bit more and not enough to derail my progress.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    I've been working really hard the last couple weeks on logging my calories and eating right and have lost around 6 lbs so far.
    Last night my husband and I went out for my birthday and I just couldn't enjoy it. I tried to order something on the healthier side because I felt like I was just going to sabatoge all the work I've done lately. Ugh, but then they give you all that delicous bread before your meal comes! Anyway, I just felt anxious the whole time about it all.
    Is this feeling normal? and if so, does it go away eventually? I want to enjoy life and not be afraid of gaining weight everytime I have a cheat day!

What helped me, on my birthday, was that I fit everything I ate on that birthday weekend into my calorie limits. Lunches out, dinner at a Mexican place, half a cheesecake and all ... :smiley:

I was able to fit it all into my calorie limits because I exercised a lot that weekend. Lots of cycling.

When I want something special, I work for it. :)