protein

I'm not trying to do Atkins or anything but I've been eating healthy and working out and just not seeing as much success as I should. In talking to some health people and doing a lot of reading I'm getting nowhere near the amount of protein I need to burn fat. Is there a way to change the amount of protein for your day on fitness pal? Mine is set with a goal of 62 and according to multiple things I've read I need to be closer to 150 g a day. Does anyone else know about higher protein eating without going to the extreme of Atkins?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Protein doesn't help you burn fat.... Being in a deficit will though.

The protein goal is a minimum... You could change your percentage split, or just aim for a higher number of grams.

Where did you come up with 150g?
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    edited June 2015
    Protein needs are calculated based on body weight and additional exercise will increase the protein requirements. MFP adjusts accordingly. 150g of protein seems excessive for the average athlete and even if you're overweight.

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/how-much-protein-per-day/

Too many calories, coming from protein or not, will be stored as fat.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    My experience is : in order to lose body weight, I have to eat at a deficit (calories burned > calories ingested). That is all.
    Logging all your food at MFP tool, weighing all solids and measuring liquids will help you with the calories ingested.
    Keeping myself to my daily calorie target is the hard part but it is doable.
    If you eat more calories than you burn will make you gain weight, no matter how healthy or full of protein your eating is.
    I try to fit my macros (protein, carbs and fat) for my health. It will not impact my weight.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • hrothwell1101
    hrothwell1101 Posts: 2 Member
    Rbiss I went to the link you sent. I'm on the 2nd section on the chart which puts me about 150. The chart says .8 to 1 so even if I was 150 (which I'm above that) my protein would be high.

Livingleanlivingclean I've calculated that number on many sites. I agree it seems like a lot but that's what they all say including the one that rbiss just sent me.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Did you see this part on the acaloriecounter link?
    (*NOTE* In the case of people of are VERY overweight, your ideal protein intake will be overestimated if you use your current body weight due to the excessive amount of fat on your body. So, for true obese individuals, your target body weight should be used instead. For example, a 300lb man looking to get down to 200lbs would use 200lbs as their weight when calculating how much protein they should eat per day.)

Your profile says that you want to lose about 40 pounds. If I were you, I'd calculate your protein based on your goal weight, rather than your current weight.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    According the real science, non-athletes need .37 grams per pound of body weight (that's the RDA standard); athletes: .55 grams.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    All that's required for weight loss, is a caloric deficit. Getting sufficient protein helps maintain muscle.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    When you dont lose weight you are not in a deficit

Weigh ALL your solid food on a food scale, dont use cups/spoon or serving sizes. But weigh it!