How long does it really take to form a new habit?

Options
So for three weeks now I've been really watching what I eat (not all healthy), logging everything, measuring portions and cutting back on what I put on my plate. At least for the most part, I've had a couple slips.

I've been told several different timelines for a behavior to become a habit. But logically wouldn't one think that this is an individual timeline and not something dictated by studies?

Sure studies can be a guideline.

And how do you decide that 'yes, now this is a habit?'

Replies

• LandonRand
    LandonRand Posts: 166
    Options
    Typically for me it's 2-3 weeks. Just keep grinding and it will stick!
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere it takes 21 days. Don't know if it's true or not
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Around 3 weeks.
  • Skinnymunkii
    Skinnymunkii Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    When you start doing it without thinking, when it becomes automatic...that' s when you know it's a habit. Good or bad.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    It really has little to do with habit, it is changing your thinking about food. The way you used to think made you fat. You have to change that to think you thin.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    They say it's around three weeks. I don't believe that. I think it takes longer and the exact length of changing a habit depends on the individual.
    I have been white flour ( all bread and bakery goods ) and pasta free since April 10th and have been able to completely stay away from them. But I am not 100 % what would happen if I had some pasta, because for me half a cup is not even worth it to get a plate and spoon dirty. And that is even after two month now.
    Three weeks ago I had a few freshly made French Fries and was really grossed out, even though I am not cutting out potatoes, I just don't think of them any longer. Maybe my body no longer wants starchy stuff. I do however think that after enjoying pasta, rice and bread for more than half a century my body will not adapt to a new habit in three weeks.
    Once I have a 25 pound loss, I will see how I do with bread and bakery goods and see if my new lifestyle habit has stuck. Until then I avoid them all together and give my system a continued chance to learn to enjoy far healthier carbs.
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    once for bad habits. It seems like forever for good habits
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    A life time!
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    There is an old saying "14 days to make a habit, 21 days to break it" If you are trying to break old food habits..it will take at least three weeks to get comfy.. but you will... I find myself now ( having done MFP for several months) just looking at calories and fat content by habit. I agree with several others here, after awhile you just don't want the junk stuff. I am not a completely clean eater by any means but I am off most fast food and limit my junk food.. I find that I really don't want a lot of it anymore. Especially fast food..once I was off that stuff for a couple of months ( Taco bell QUEEN here) I simply don't eat it anymore. Hang in there.. new choice will become a habit!!!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I am 18 months into this little process, and I still don't feel secure that my behaviors are solid habits. Yes, it's just what I do now, but I vey much feel like I'm on the edge of the cliff and could easily backslide at any second. I don't know if that's just my paranoia, or whether time will help eventually lessen my fear of reverting to old behaviors.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    21 days
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    30 days
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I think most times you can adapt to a new behavior in 2 - 3 weeks. Does that mean you will never slide back into an old habit? Not necessarily. I think you still need to be dilligent. It does get easier though, but this is a lifestyle change not just a habit.
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your level of motivation and commitment. If I want to start a new habit or stop an old one for me, I will. If I'm starting or stopping something because someone else wants me to, I probably won't last long.

That being said, it takes me 2-3 weeks of doing or not doing something consistently for it to be a part of my everyday routine. If I'm trying to break a bad habit, like not eating unhealthy foods, I am much more successful if I replace the old habit with a new, healthy one. I know it's a "habit" when I do it without thinking, like grabbing fruit instead of ice cream when I want something sweet and am already at my calorie limit.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Like 21-22 days I've heard. To make it apart of who you are, to identify with it takes a bit longer.
  • kittymoney
    kittymoney Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Depending on what is considered a habit. For me to turn away from the unhealthy stuff and grab something more nutritious to fuel my body - took me 8 months. Don't worry I still indulge in goodies every now and then, but that is what it is now and then and I am back to my habit. I prefer a banana with peanut butter frozen over ice cream - that was amazing when I found myself doing that - habit.
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    21 days to form a habit and one day to screw it up! grrrr.....
  • kikichevibolbu
    Options
    from my experience 3- 4 weeks .... i really think it depends on the person though.
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a set guideline applicable to everybody. You'll know when it has become a habit :)
  • MissSaturday
    MissSaturday Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    When starting the diet I mentally accepted that will be at least a year, while years ago when starting a diet i wanted to be 2/3 months . Now are only 20 days and i've noticed i am not asking myself after eating to have something sweet. I think the biggest step for me was accepting that losing weight will be a long journey, so i am actually in peace doing what i can and celebrate even if i lose only a kg per week.