Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Thanks again!!
    Thanks for the feedback!!

Couple things though...maybe I should've added a smiley alongside the whole I gave myself heart disease & diabetes thing bc I know it doesn't happen just like that :smile:.

As far as the correlation I made bt fat and heart disease, I was referring to the saturated fat in some of the foods I sometimes overindulge in...like ice cream & danishes. They were among the culprits for my increase in bad cholesterol and blood sugar.

While I was aware of the calories in vs calories out, I didn't know that the amount of fat consumed had no effect on weight loss. Perhaps now I can have an extra tbsp of balsamic vinaigrette to moisten my salads a little better. :smiley:.

Really appreciate your input folks!!
    Hi there!!

I'm not completely new to MFP, but I've had this nagging question for the past year. Which matters more when losing weight: calories consumed or fat?

Obviously I know that weight loss is impossible if you're scarfing down 100 grams of fat every day
    . What bugs me is when I've had a little too much ice cream, peanut butter, cookies, steak, fries, etc. (basically foods that are heavy in fat and lighter in calories), and I eat twice as many grams of fat allotted, but still manage to meet - or even come in below - my calorie goal, I'm shown that I could lose like 8 lbs in 5 wks if everyday were like this.

Isn't weight loss a combination of sticking to a (healthy) low cal diet
    and limiting fat to a given range? How's it possible to murder a pint of Ben & Jerry's and 3 Entemann's cheese buns each day and still manage to lose like 6-7 lbs in 5 weeks??? (Confession: that was my meal plan for a random Sunday about 5 weeks ago - and yes, I'm absolutely aware that I increased my chances of heart disease & diabetes with that *kitten* move!!)

Thanks in advance!!

OP I heavily suggest you read the stickies because it seems that you haven't quite gotten your head around the idea of calories.

To lose weight, you need a caloric deficit - it doesn't matter what you eat. If I wanted, I could just drink olive oil and get 1800 calories of fat and still lose weight... but I wouldn't because that's gross lol.

Would you mind telling me what a sticky is or where I can find them???

Right here; http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177910/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest

A caveat: everything in the "Small but Super Helpful Habits" thread is garbage.

The confessions thread isn't particularly helpful, either.

I don't know why they are even stickied.

Wait...the confessions thread is stickied?!

Yes. It's like they stickied it for spite...

Oh..that's why I probably have 200 GD friend requests right now. I posted on the first page of that back in the day.

LOL, yes that may explain it. "OMG we have so much in common - let's support each other! We can do this!"

Or blank. Blank is so much more common.

Yep. Thats the gist of it ahahaha. I posted about my peanut butter issue. I went back recently to write something and people were like "you know your post is quoted all the time here, right?" Dangit.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Fat barely counts... almost everything scientists thought they knew about fat in the 20th century turned out to be wrong. One thing to watch is Trans Fats in manufactured food -- those are not to be on your menu. Even Saturated Fats are being given less concern by our scientific overlords. So it's calories, not fat. (Except no Trans Fats)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Which matters more when losing weight: calories consumed or fat?
    Only calories matter for losing or gaining weight. Calories are found in fat, protein, carbohydrates and alcohol.
    Obviously I know that weight loss is impossible if you're scarfing down 100 grams of fat every day.
    No, that is wrong. 100 grams of fat is 900 calories. An adult needs at least 1200 calories a day. Macronutrient splits (carb, protein, fat distibution in diet) is not relevant to weight loss. May be to health, but not weight loss.
    What bugs me is when I've had a little too much ice cream, peanut butter, cookies, steak, fries, etc. (basically foods that are heavy in fat and lighter in calories), and I eat twice as many grams of fat allotted, but still manage to meet - or even come in below - my calorie goal, I'm shown that I could lose like 8 lbs in 5 wks if everyday were like this.

Isn't weight loss a combination of sticking to a (healthy) low cal diet and limiting fat to a given range? How's it possible to murder a pint of Ben & Jerry's and 3 Entemann's cheese buns each day and still manage to lose like 6-7 lbs in 5 weeks???
    You have just stumbled across a secret about weight loss that you weren't supposed to :wink: Fat does not make you fat. Fat may satiate you. Eating food you like may make it easier to stick to your alotted calories.
    As far as the correlation I made bt fat and heart disease, I was referring to the saturated fat in some of the foods I sometimes overindulge in...like ice cream & danishes. They were among the culprits for my increase in bad cholesterol and blood sugar.
    Some of these foods are also heavy in sugar. There is no way to pinpoint what exactly leads to elevation in blood cholesterol and blood sugar. But sugar is under suspicion at the moment. I think there are a lot of factors that we maybe aren't even aware of yet, that lower and heighten health risk.
    While I was aware of the calories in vs calories out, I didn't know that the amount of fat consumed had no effect on weight loss. Perhaps now I can have an extra tbsp of balsamic vinaigrette to moisten my salads a little better.
    You should really have fats with vegetables, to make absorbsion of fat soluble vitamins possible.

It's all about balance and preference. I like to eat a lot of fat too, but there are natural limits. I get full. It's almost impossible for me to overeat whan I eat a varied diet of fatty meat, fish and dairy, eggs, nuts, vegetables, fruit, and some starch. That way it's very easy to not go over on my calories.