soreness question

Options
fishshark
fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
I moved up to my pilates reformer advanced class and it made me more sore then expected. I am supposed to lift today but my question is.. do i push through the soreness or take a day off. Like when is it to sore to keep working out?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I only choose not to lift if something is tweaked, continuing with the typical DOMS is fine. Maybe do a short cardio warm up and foam roll first.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    You need to be an experienced enough person in your fitness to differentiate between DOMS and an injury. It is safe to workout with muscle soreness. An injury should be rested. I've found that working out despite DOMS actually makes them feel a bit better. ;-) Totally agree on the foam rolling. That will help a lot.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Sore from the previous training session? Gentle warm up then get into it. Feel like something is injured? Rest and ice it.
  • JrChamberlain
    JrChamberlain Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Agreed with everyone else. If it's muscle soreness you want to warm up and stretch and continue to workout.
  • fishshark
    Options
    You need to be an experienced enough person in your fitness to differentiate between DOMS and an injury. It is safe to workout with muscle soreness. An injury should be rested. I've found that working out despite DOMS actually makes them feel a bit better. ;-) Totally agree on the foam rolling. That will help a lot.

oh its for sure not and injury i just don't want to CAUSE one
  • fishshark
    Options
    and thank u everyone!
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I try not to do strength two days in a row. When I'm sore like that I'm usually not as productive.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I try not to do strength two days in a row. When I'm sore like that I'm usually not as productive.

Most of us who strength train two days in a row are not working the same muscle groups the next day.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Working through it actually decreases my soreness, I've discovered. I'd push through it, unless you feel like something's actually damages and needs rest.
  • fishshark
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Most of us who strength train two days in a row are not working the same muscle groups the next day.

yea today is leg day!
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Maybe try some light dynamic stretches and light cardio to see how your muscles feel afterwards? I find that when I have DOMS some light exercise improves the soreness. If after some light stretching and movement I was still in a lot of pain from soreness (such that it limited my movement--I've sometimes had DOMS severe enough it was hard to go up and down stairs or sit or stand), I'd take a day off. I wouldn't want to try to lift weights with limited mobility, especially if they weren't very light/I didn't have the assistance of a machine to help.