Where do I start?

Hi

I am 35 and have been told to loose at least 5st as I am trying for a baby and cannot conceive (been trying for 7 years). I am currently 5ft 2in and weight exactly 15 stone. I have a busy lifestyle as I always have after work activities such as darts, youth club and panto rehersal etc.. so my food habits are anything quick and usually late in the evening. My job is an office job so I am sitting down ALL day. I seriously need to loose weight but dont know where to begin. Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated. Kind regards KLC

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Pre plan and pre log your days.

If your health and losing weight is important to you, then you'll give it as much time and effort as your other activities.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    You start by getting a food scale, weighing all your food, and learning to log accurately. Pick the right activity level for your MFP profile (most people are sedentary) and only eat back 50% of exercise calories. Work on improving your eating habits by prepping foods ahead of time to accommodate your busy schedule. Make health a priority in your life.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Start with the sexy pants thread and understand how weight loss works.
    You should also start managing your mental approach by deciding whats motivating you to do this and use that, as well as taking responsibility and commiting. But lifestyle yes, but so do many of us, office jobs , so do many people, 5st to lose, many people have more. These are just aspects you can adapt to so start believing its possible and that you will achieve it.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    You sound so much like me. I always start by adding in more veggies, it was a really simple thing for me to do and I could eat tons and feel full without getting lots of calories. I have a desk job too, I would bring those frozen bagged veggies that you microwave they are seasoned with Olive oil etc. I would have the whole bag for lunch and tuna on a pita wrap. I did that cuz it was simple and cheap, filled me up and tasted good. Once I got the hang of it and all the calorie tracking, I expanded what I ate and incorporated new things.

Obviously you don't have to eat those same things but if you can find a dozen things that you like to eat and will keep you full and at a deficit, it'll be easier to stay on track.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Sexypants thread. And this one: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101. Those should give you all the basic tools you'll need to succeed.
  • billflat12
    billflat12 Posts: 4 Member
    You could try wearing a fitness tracker like a fitbit which monitors all activity & gives a better idea of your calorie burn against what you log into your diary , myfitnesspal,s bar scanner in the mobile app is awesome even remembers all your foods for whenever you need to type it in.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    There are as many ways to begin as there are fat people! You'll find what works for you.

I think the idea of adding instead of subtracting is the best one.

Add more water if you currently drink pop and juice. Then add more fruits. Then add more veggies. Don't worry so much about not drinking pop or eating French fries. Just add water and veggies, too.

That's my advice for beginning. But there will be many different answers and none of us have the One, True Way. Feel free to disregard mine! :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn—period. So read the links posted above and learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately and honestly. Logging is simple, but it ain't easy. Logging works.

For Americans, OP is 5'2" and 210 lbs. She has been told to lose at least 70 lbs.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Pre plan and pre log your days.

If your health and losing weight is important to you, then you'll give it as much time and effort as your other activities.

BAM!