i dont want to fall off

Options
So today for father's day my family and I are going to spend it with my parents. They are not on the healthy bandwagon. Not at all. I however have been doing really we'll these past few weeks. I have been eating healthier, trying new things, and exercising more often. My hubby is very supportive most of the time. But today I've been very nervous about going to my parents house for dinner and I've been trying to come up with a plan so I don't blow it. That is what I do. I do we'll for a while and then life throws me a minor curveball and I give up. So my plan was to bring over my own dish "to pass" that was healthy so at least I had one thing on my side. And if no one wanted to try it I would just bring the lefties home. More for me. Yumm. Anyways what does my hubby say, "you know one day is not going to hurt you." so I said "we'll you don't know me very well then do you?" one day "off" could be catastrophic for me and completely blow me off course. I know myself we'll enough to know that. I guess I was just looking for advice, words of encouragement. Anything really. Thanks

Replies

• vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I used to think that way, but stuff like that doesnt really bother me anymore. Eat what they have, just be mindful and dont stack your plate so much. Remember that tomorrow is around the corner and dont let any thought or feelings stand in your way of your goal. Track the meal and move on, and continue your normal ways the next day. Your husband is right, its just one meal. Keep that and your goals in mind.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    My advice is to listen to your husband.

One meal, one day is NOT going to undo all of your progress. Eat mindfully, log it and move on. Get back to it tomorrow. You're going to face many social events and holidays. Don't worry about them. They happen. Enjoy yourself and the company and don't make it all about the food.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    You probably know yourself best.
    Bringing your own dish sounds really smart!
    Also, portion control! If you have been counting for a few weeks you should have some feeling how much you can eat of something.
    Don't deprive yourself of any of the other yummy dishes, but make smart choices. You can enjoy food without piling it on your plate ;)
    You can do it so don't stress too much and have a nice dinner :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You both have a point. as its your journey then do whats right for you.

My point would be that your plan/ mindset is a little brittle and you need to relax and become more resilient. By this I mean if you do fall off then you need to have the confidence not to panic, log it and get back on. that will give you peace of mind and remove some of the stress.
  • 1cfbootcamp
    1cfbootcamp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am so impressed that you know yourself so well, that one day can "push you off the healthy wagon". If you are on a great healthy streak, then why compromise it. Family is about love and creating wonderful memories. It does not have to be all about the food. So, give yourself a big hug and don't forget to smile as you walk in the door with your healthy dish in hand. Who knows, maybe some of your family may feel inspired by your fitness journey.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Deciding to stay within your food goals even though it's a special occasion - Awesome! Nothing wrong with that.

Deciding to drop your food goals because you missed one day - No! If we were that perfect, we wouldn't be in this situation in the first place. Mistakes happen, life happens... Take the next meal as an opportunity to get back on track.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    You both have a point. as its your journey then do whats right for you.

My point would be that your plan/ mindset is a little brittle and you need to relax and become more resilient. By this I mean if you do fall off then you need to have the confidence not to panic, log it and get back on. that will give you peace of mind and remove some of the stress.

This.

Plus next time, have a day at maintenance, or eat a few cals less for the rest of the week so you have extra to enjoy a family meal and eat what you like.