Overestimating cals before getting food scale

Options
jf3334
jf3334 Posts: 20 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been on here off and on for a while and steadily for the past month. I set my goal to lose 1 lb/week, and have been losing closer to 1.5-2, without using a good scale. After reading LOTS of posts on the accuracy and necessity of a food scale, I decided to get one so that I could log more accurately. Unsurprisingly (since I had been losing an extra half pound per week) I learned I have been overestimating my daily calories by about 250. Now I am not sure what to do: should I eat 250 more to match my planned deficit of 500, or just keep with the 750 deficit? I have not been hungry, and obviously have enjoyed the faster weight loss. Anyone have this happen? What did you do?

My info: female, 5'5", 177 lbs, goal of 145. My calorie goal is 1640, I've been eating closer to 1450 (and I often burn more than 2140).

Thanks for any insight!

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on "seeing the light".

You could do either/or. You could try to eat at the lower calorie target for a few days and see how you feel with respect to hunger and energy. Or you can increase your calories by ~250 if you like that target and you are OK with the progress. You have the option of approaching it the way you feel is best for your situation.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I'd stick to your current deficit
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Even with the scale, it's still an estimate, so you may still be eating more or less than you think.

However you estimate your calories, you still have to play around with where you set your goals and adjust the totals as you go so that you lose weight.

Personally, for me, if I'm eating a decent amount of healthy food in normal portions, I don't wig out if I lose slower than some chart has dictated. I also don't eat to a number. If I'm hungrier, I eat more. If I'm less hungry, I eat less. I let my body dictate what it needs.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry, why eat more? I would stick to your current deficit.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    If your energy levels are good, and you are not hungry, and feeling fine... I'd stick with the deficit you already created.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Sounds like what you're doing is working, so keep doing it.
  • rachelbouc
    rachelbouc Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You must be a miracle worker. When ever I don't use a scale I underestimate. I'd say keep doing what you're doing. Obviously you have a good eye for portions which is awesome!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I found the same thing when I started using my food scale. I wouldn't force myself to eat more. I find that some days I'm really hungry so a little extra cushion on other days helps me stay at a deficit.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't want to get a scale.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    If you lose too fast, you risk losing lean body mass. If your goal is 1lb per week, I would try for that.