Charge HR vs Surge

Options
Hi all,

I have a Charge HR currently and looking at the Surge. Is it worth it? How do you like it?

Replies

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I have the Surge because I like using the GPS function to track my hikes. I used to have to bring my phone to use runkeeper, and the day I barely rescued it from falling into a canyon I realized I don't want to have to carry it with me.

If you use or would like to use GPS for your workouts, it's worth it to eliminate an extra gadget while you run/hike/bike. It also has a few other workout modes I haven't tried. If you don't need GPS, and don't mind entering workouts manually, it may not be worth the additional cost, especially if you already have the charge.
  • OhioGuy37
    OhioGuy37 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have had trouble with the Charge HR tracking when I've used a stepper- I assume the Surge would do this?

Thanks
  • vaporhockey83
    vaporhockey83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have the Surge, I don't believe there is a huge difference other than the call/text receive feature via Blu Tooth and the GPS tracking. Yeah, I would also assume the Surge doesn't track well on a stepper. It's missed and even added "floors" during normal usage.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    Options
    The surge tracks HR all the time, but I find it's more accurate in exercise mode if the HR is elevated at all. I don't know if the charge has the same issue, but you have to move the band up about an inch away from the wrist bone and wear it pretty tight to get an accurate HR while working out. I do find it still understates my actual HR when it is very high and/or variable, but it is a lot closer than the last HR watch I had (Basis B1).

If you use workout mode, you may need to charge it more often. Hike mode chews through battery power pretty quickly, but I don't know if that is from the GPS only, or a combo of GPS and other workout mode factors.
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    The surge tracks HR all the time, but I find it's more accurate in exercise mode if the HR is elevated at all.

The Surge samples heart rate every 5 seconds normally, but if you put it in to an exercise mode, it increases it to every 1 second.

• MakePeasNotWar
    Options
    cyronius wrote: »
    The surge tracks HR all the time, but I find it's more accurate in exercise mode if the HR is elevated at all.

The Surge samples heart rate every 5 seconds normally, but if you put it in to an exercise mode, it increases it to every 1 second.

Thanks, I didn't know that. Totally makes sense now.
  • arscott94
    arscott94 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Consider the Microsoft band. It's kind of in between a fitness band and smart watch, but it's more pro-fitness. The battery is better with the surge, but I hear there's no back light and the surge is hard to see in dim areas.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    arscott94 wrote: »
    Consider the Microsoft band. It's kind of in between a fitness band and smart watch, but it's more pro-fitness. The battery is better with the surge, but I hear there's no back light and the surge is hard to see in dim areas.
    @arscott94
    There actually is a back light. It's not bright, but it does have one. I have no problem reading the watch at night (once I've tapped the screen of course) in my bedroom with all the lights out. I look at it every time my youngest son wakes me up in the middle of the night to see what time it is.
    Top pic - tapped screen to turn on back light
    Bottom pic - back light off (auto shuts off to save battery life I presume and possibly so that it doesn't annoy you at night)
    66r5uozl2gse.jpg