Underweight skinny fat trying to get my muscles back!

Options
invie
invie Posts: 18 Member
Hi I'm very new to calorie counting. I've tried once or twice (spark people) but never kept at it because I always went way over the recommendto amount so it seemed to be more trouble than it was worth .

I'm now in my early thirties and ta dah! My metabolism has slowed and I haven't had consistent work outs in about three years.

Currently I'm 177cm or just shy of 5'10", 122lbs (I just bought my first scale. I never owned one before) and trying to lose a bit of stomach pudge (I'm aware you can't spot lose fat) and gain back the muscles I had in my late twenties when could do pull ups and pushups.

I'm aware that by most standards I'm below the recommended BMI. I've never starved or dieted. I am of Asian descent and my wrists and ankles are tiny compared to those of my friends similar in height. The only ppl whose wrists and ankles are smaller than mine tend to be shorter Asians with a similar build. And I have no boobs so that partially accounts for the lack of weight. (I've never filled even an a cup)

I'm here because every time I update my weight info I get a warning that I'm below the recommendedBMI rrange and if I'm sure the weight is correct. (At my healthiest I was 114lbs so I'm pretty sure the weight right now is correct...melted muscles..added fat)

Are there any other Asians here and is there a separate set of standards I should be looking at so I can better evaluate my body? I'm not toned by any means and I eat about 1400~1700 calories a day (today I stupidly ate an entire package of Pepperidge farm cookies. I rarely buy them because I have no self control) but I'm still told I should gain weight. I'm aware muscle weighs more but I'm assuming that sine fat will be burned away in the process of gaining muscle. My weight has been between 112~128 my entire life so I'm pretty sure I'm staying within that range even if I 'bulk'on muscle.

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I'm not of Asian decent. I'm 5'5" and like you, have a smaller frame. I think you already seem to have an understanding of where you need to be.

I'd like to be 115-118, which is about 10 pounds lighter. Most people don't feel that that is a healthy weight. I just have learned to tweak my goals, like tell others I'm trying to gain muscle. For me, I'm not chasing a number on the scale. I want to be leaner and a stronger runner.

Don't buy into government tables or someone else's idea of your weight. As long as you are strong and healthy, the scale is just a number. I have a normal bmi but am also categorized as skinny fat. Work even told me I was obese at 130 pounds. I'm sure someone with your same background will chime in.

There are exceptions to the rules. Be reasonable in your calories and eat healthier options. Cookies once in a while are a treat. I think an exercise plan is your best option.

Good luck. And don't over think it.