My fitbit shows I have burned more calories than MFP

Options
I recently purchased a Fitbit and noticed that the calories that it says I have burned daily doesn't sync completely to MFP. For example today I have burned around 3000 calories according to my Fitbit Yet only 1000 calories have synced to MFP.

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    What's your calorie goal on MFP? You will only see an adjustment when your Fitbit's burn is higher than what MFP gives you based on the activity level you've chosen here.

The full 3000 should not sync back.

~Lyssa
  • rdouma73
    rdouma73 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you. Now it makes more sense. One more question do I eat back the calories? As my fitbit adds exercise my calories go up.
  • macgurlnet
    Options
    Yes, you should eat back the calories. MFP is set up so your calorie goal has a deficit (or maintenance) built in already, without including deliberate exercise.

It will take time for your Fitbit to "get to know you," if you will, so you may want to eat back 50% of the calories for 4-6 weeks and see if you've maintained, gained or lost a significant amount of weight.

As an example, MFP gives me a goal of 1500 to maintain my weight (I have my activity level set as Sedentary). Once I get in about 2000 steps, I start getting exercise calories. I typically get 300-400 more calories and eat back most, if not all, of them. It's worked fine for me, so I trust the accuracy of my Fitbit.

~Lyssa
  • rdouma73
    rdouma73 Posts: 2,065 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thank you so much. :)

Rob
  • macgurlnet
    Options
    You're welcome :)

Feel free to join the Fitbit group - lots of good info there, too, if you need it.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

~Lyssa
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    rdouma73 wrote: »
    I recently purchased a Fitbit and noticed that the calories that it says I have burned daily doesn't sync completely to MFP. For example today I have burned around 3000 calories according to my Fitbit Yet only 1000 calories have synced to MFP.

Your Fitbit burn (3,000) is TDEE. Your adjustment (1,000) is the difference between your Fitbit burn & your MFP activity level.