Options

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    umayster wrote: »
    Any pop regularly in your diet isn't a good thing. It spikes your insulin which almost instantly results in fat storage. And diets no better. Tell me, how do you create a drink that's full of flavour and has zero calories? By filling it with synthetic chemicals, mmmm doesn't that sound delicious. By carbonated water that has light flavouring, and the caffeine headache goes away in acouple days. You have to make the choice to stop filling your body with pure sugar.

*eye roll*

you-must-be-new-here-willy-wonka-ewlzcs.jpg

Jesse speaks on the chemical process that happens when you eat sugar (or any carbs) and your response is an eye roll.

Are we on a nutrition forum or at Jr high?

Thank you, I'm pretty sure the whole point of these threads are to be frIendly and informative. There's a reason why so many people who consume soda daily are overweight and/or suffer from diabetes. Just spread the love yall! Haha

They're overweight because they consume too many calories, not because they drink soda (unless that's the item that puts them over). I lost 25 pounds drinking regular soda, then switched to diet and have lost 35 since because I'm in a calorie deficit. And the reason I've lost weight is so I don't follow in my father's footsteps and develop diabetes, which can be genetic.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Any pop regularly in your diet isn't a good thing. It spikes your insulin which almost instantly results in fat storage. And diets no better. Tell me, how do you create a drink that's full of flavour and has zero calories? By filling it with synthetic chemicals, mmmm doesn't that sound delicious. By carbonated water that has light flavouring, and the caffeine headache goes away in acouple days. You have to make the choice to stop filling your body with pure sugar.

*eye roll*

Jesse speaks on the chemical process that happens when you eat sugar (or any carbs) and your response is an eye roll.

Thank you, I'm pretty sure the whole point of these threads are to be frIendly and informative. There's a reason why so many people who consume soda daily are overweight and/or suffer from diabetes. Just spread the love yall! Haha

Only soda does not cause obesity or diabetes.
  • ccourcha
    ccourcha Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I also cut soda totally more than 5 years ago. occasionally, like once a year maybe have one. Is there not some additive you can put in it that makes you sick if you drink it lol

headaches will subside as you wean off the dependency
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

*eye roll*

Informative, yes, but bad info is something most people here put the kibosh on. What you believe to be true and actual reality may not match up, and I don't like seeing junk being promoted as fact.

The people that are overweight are eating over maintenance by drinking their calories or they're those people that get the munchies with diet soda.

Correlation and causation are two different things.

I drink diet soda and regular soda and I'm currently maintaining my weight. I could drink 4 of those diet sodas a day and be perfectly fine.

The idea of instant fat storage makes me lol. That's not how this works.

~Lyssa
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying you can't lose weight drinking soda, you could lose it eating mcdonalds everyday. Calories in vs calories out. And if your muscle glycone levels are full (which are typically restored after carb consumption. Reason why so many body builders consume high glycemic carbs post workout with their protein shakes)your bodies next step is to store that extra glycone as fat in order to be used later. Except I'm not preaching weight loss. I'm preaching nutrition along with general health and well being. Just saying if you want to live long healthy lives, why put that into yourself day after day. That's all, no need to bust someone's balls, especially when you're poking holes in the wrong argument. And feel free to bombard me after posting this, I'll just be laughing while enjoying hardly ever being sick and no headaches from all those sugar rushes and cravings.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

*eye roll*

This topic is posted daily, and most rational people understand that soda, diet or otherwise, in moderation as part of an otherwise balanced diet is nothing to get yer panties twisted up about. Just fit them into your goals.

No one is saying to pound sodas all day long as your sole source of calories and hydration.

And yeah, gifs and memes are popular here. I guess humor is only allowed in school?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    I'm not saying you can't lose weight drinking soda, you could lose it eating mcdonalds everyday. Calories in vs calories out. And if your muscle glycone levels are full (which are typically restored after carb consumption. Reason why so many body builders consume high glycemic carbs post workout with their protein shakes)your bodies next step is to store that extra glycone as fat in order to be used later. Except I'm not preaching weight loss. I'm preaching nutrition along with general health and well being. Just saying if you want to live long healthy lives, why put that into yourself day after day. That's all, no need to bust someone's balls, especially when you're poking holes in the wrong argument. And feel free to bombard me after posting this, I'll just be laughing while enjoying hardly ever being sick and no headaches from all those sugar rushes and cravings.

Except you can have soda in moderation as part of a balanced diet, within your goals, and be perfectly healthy. Plenty of us do it.

No reason to fear monger and spread misinformation.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    These threads, man. Make me envy the guy in this gif:

reverse-1316194281_bystanders_rescue_man_from_under_burning_car.gif
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options

*eye roll*

This topic is posted daily, and most rational people understand that soda, diet or otherwise, in moderation as part of an otherwise balanced diet is nothing to get yer panties twisted up about. Just fit them into your goals.

No one is saying to pound sodas all day long as your sole source of calories and hydration.

And yeah, gifs and memes are popular here. I guess humor is only allowed in school?

Most people don't really understand nutrition if they are replacing calories which can provide the body with nutrition with soda pop. They need to understand why it might not be a good idea to view soda pop as a valid nutritional addition to their sources of calories, micro & macro nutrients.

Why are you promoting such a counter productive addition to what people eat?
  • Markdjones83
    Markdjones83 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    ThisThread_Me_zps77423745.gif
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    edited June 2015
    Options

*eye roll*

Most people don't really understand nutrition if they are replacing calories which can provide the body with nutrition with soda pop. They need to understand why it might not be a good idea to view soda pop as a valid nutritional addition to their sources of calories, micro & macro nutrients.

So if you've met all of your nutrient needs for the day, do you get extra credit for eating more of those nutrient-dense foods than you need? Or do you think once your needs are met, it should be fine to have a soda if you want one?

I mean really - the only way to be healthy is to never have a soda again for the rest of your life?
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

You know how often I get sick? Maybe twice a year in the dead of winter due to the cold and not getting enough sleep, among other things.

Nor do I have consistent headaches, sugar rushes or cravings.

If you want to use yourself as proof you're right, fine, but I'm proof I'm right, too.

~Lyssa
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

You know how often I get sick? Maybe twice a year in the dead of winter due to the cold and not getting enough sleep, among other things.

If you want to use yourself as proof you're right, fine, but I'm proof I'm right, too.

~Lyssa

Why are you taking it so personal? Haha. I'm just saying the research on high sugar diets is pretty compelling stuff.
  • kirstendawm
    kirstendawm Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize my request for advice would turn into a fuss among everyone
  • umayster
    Options

*eye roll*

So if you've met all of your nutrient needs for the day, do you get extra credit for eating more of those nutrient-dense foods than you need? Or do you think once your needs are met, it should be fine to have a soda if you want one?

I mean really - the only way to be healthy is to never have a soda again for the rest of your life?

Isn't ” the only way to be healthy is to never have a soda again for the rest of your life?" a little over dramatic? That does not resemble what I have said.

One who views regular use of carb/sugar beverage as part of a good nutritional plan probably works for the soda industry!

It sounds like you define nutritional needs as macros? Micros are harder to track AND probably not being met so if you feel lucky go ahead and plan to throw away some calories on a substance with calories and no micronutrients.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

*eye roll*

Isn't ” the only way to be healthy is to never have a soda again for the rest of your life?" a little over dramatic? That does not resemble what I have said.

One who views regular use of carb/sugar beverage as part of a good nutritional plan probably works for the soda industry!

It sounds like you define nutritional needs as macros? Micros are harder to track AND probably not being met so if you feel lucky go ahead and plan to throw away some calories on a substance with calories and no micronutrients.

So if you're allowed to have soda sometimes, then you're actually advocating for moderation, correct? Or am I wrong?

And no - I just advocate living life and eating a sustainable diet. That means occasionally having things that are pleasurable that may not give much in the way of nutritional value.

As far as micros go, you do the best you can by eating a rainbow of fruits and vegetables. A basic multi is a good idea for anyone just in case, to cover all of your bases. If you are meeting your requirements and are not deficient, then soda isn't "replacing" anything. Again, you don't get extra credit for taking in more than your body needs.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I had to taper. I always have to taper it.

If I try to quit cold turkey, I get that caffeine headache and nothing but caffeine or time stops those things.

Once off of it, the best way to keep it under control is to stay away, lol. If I drink one, I'll be drinking more and more very soon.

It's so hard to quit. But it can be done if you really want to do it. :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

*eye roll*

Thank you, I'm pretty sure the whole point of these threads are to be frIendly and informative.

You'd think so, wouldn't you?
  • ccourcha
    ccourcha Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

~Lyssa

It's just that soda does things like remove corrosion from batteries, brown teeth, and the like. My journey has helped me clean up. Soda is not something I would put in my body knowing the research.
  • umayster
    Options
    More along the lines of a valid nutritional plan with the occasional detour.

It is pretty difficult on restricted calories to routinely make micro needs, most of us should not plan on nutritionally empty calories. Multis aren't great for meeting micro needs, if only it were that easy!

The big problem with human nutrition is the very primitive level of knowledge and the problems take years or decades to materialize. I'm guessing that most people here either are, have been or will be overweight or obese, so it is best to aim at the conservative nutritional plan.