Do people think you're narcisstic because you eat healthy?

Options
I have developed a bit of insecurity about getting in shape because of the rude responses I've gotten from people. One woman told me that there was no point in me trying to lose weight because I didn't have much to lose and "nobody is thinking about you or paying you any mind". If I mentioned eating healthy she would make subtle digs that I wasn't important, and nobody would even notice the effort. The woman was significantly overweight, well, obese. It really hurt me that she said those things to me. I no longer even mention eating healthy anymore around anyone. Has anyone ever had this experience before?

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    F her, and F all the haters...do it for yourself...who the hell cares what other people think of you, as long as you are happy with yourself. I've been losing weight for almost two years, and heard all the BS, and people asking me if I had cancer, if i was sick, etc. etc. etc. I get a kick out of listening to fat people justify their big *kitten* bag of chips (or double triple slurpee or gallon of ice cream or whatever) by saying..."hey every once in a while is ok...."
    The thing I found most amusing was the women at work asking me the "secret"...The "secret" ??? shut your damn mouth, and get off the couch.
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    F her, and F all the haters...do it for yourself...who the hell cares what other people think of you, as long as you are happy with yourself.

Seriously they are hating. I don't talk about what I eat, but I decline office junk (when I can). I have a bad habit of talking about cravings, but for me if I talk about them, I'm less likely to indulge. Besides that, people comment on my health food, and I smile. I know what I am doing and why, so I can care less. I am clearly losing weight and that's what counts
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Only fat people say stuff like that... and people who could never do it themselves. I take pride in how i feed my body. Most people either think im disciplined and an inspiration, or crazy cuz i work so hard.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    One family member called me "obsessive" because I ask how food is prepared. But this is someone who is obese, has diabetes and had to have a quintuple bypass. Knows very very little about the calorie content of food despite enjoying cooking. Told me I could have just a little of every food even though I know from experience that it's better for me to keep away from certain foods, moderation doesn't work for me.

But hey, I've never been overweight and have no health problems related to weight so I'll take obsessive and narcissistic.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    F her, and F all the haters...do it for yourself...who the hell cares what other people think of you, as long as you are happy with yourself.

Seriously they are hating. I don't talk about what I eat, but I decline office junk (when I can). I have a bad habit of talking about cravings, but for me if I talk about them, I'm less likely to indulge. Besides that, people comment on my health food, and I smile. I know what I am doing and why, so I can care less. I am clearly losing weight and that's what counts

No one in real life wants to hear about your diet. In fact, I don't even want to talk about anyone's diet in real life.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Don't get dragged down by people with no will power or self discipline. They say ****ty things because you make them feel crappy for not having your drive to succeed at losing weight and getting healthy. Sad really. It just means you are winning...
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I don't know, or care, what other people think. :)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Don't let it bother you and know where it is coming from. People who know that they could be taking better care of themselves will often say things out loud that they should keep to themselves. I find, a simple, "wow, hold on there, killer" works wonders.

And I agree with the above on the fact that no one wants to hear about your diet. The only thing worse is talking about your job or politics.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Just an observation -- it seems as if whether you are improving your fitness and health, managing your weight, or conversely, not incorporating any of those things in your life, people are judging you and/or never fail to express an opinion as to what you are eating or not eating, the way your clothing fits or doesn't, what's in your food cart, or not.

Do your best to tune it out, and stay focused on the gift of good health you are giving yourself.
  • wanderlustlover
    wanderlustlover Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I face this a lot, sometimes.

Even my roommate will tell me when I'm making a bowl of zucchini lasagna, or putting big pile of spinach beneath a pile of fajitta taco innards, that "he'll be over somewhere making a plate with actual nutrients" (ie. usually noodles, or white flour tortillas, etc). It's one of those things I don't always answer back about, but it is hard sometimes, I agree.

Like somehow it's intimidating to be socializing/living with/related to someone who refuses to eat heavily processed food that isn't 80-90% raw or clean. Even when it's not something I encourage/recommend to anyone around me, or even comment on when people are having things like gram crackers for "a healthy snack."

Mostly, I take it from as 'healthy' a view point as I can -- that I don't need to convert anyone in my life and because it makes me happy, I don't need their opinions to justify my work (which I get to see in inches, pounds, energy levels, ability and greater endurance in doing things). The same with that I try not to judge what other people eat or don't do, because it's in their hands what they do or don't eat, and whether they do or don't exercise, and even whether they are afraid of/unnerved by my dedication to my body/my health.

Be happy, and do what you love, and let the opinions slide off your back. You (and *we*) know you are doing what you love.

I, honestly, at nearly five years of people knowing I eat really well have a lot of people ask me for pointers and for my best discoveries were, and advice as they start heading down that way themselves.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    "Do people think you're narcisstic because you eat healthy?"

No but people who can't stop talking about (what they believe is) "eating healthy" are annoying.
  • Garlicmash
    Garlicmash Posts: 208
    Options
    sounds like she doesn't want you to succeed and if probably jealous of you to talk to you in such a way.
    It isn't about what others see,it's about what you see and how you feel and giving you're self a positive future.

Lets face it you are more likely to still be about to see any future family grow to have their own families than she will with an attitude like that,if she is lucky enough to get to see those things you can bet she will still be a miserable sod anyway.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

Do your best to tune it out, and stay focused on the gift of good health you are giving yourself.

And try to spend some time hanging out with folks with the same values. Because no matter how independent you are, constantly having to anticipate the criticism of others is tiring.
  • Garlicmash
    Garlicmash Posts: 208
    Options
    If i was you stop telling her anything you are doing as she is clearly not worth get upset about.