15 lbs in 3 weeks? Possible?

Options

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Sunny1007 wrote: »
    I'm fasting for spiritual reasons since its ramadan, so it doesn't end until july 18. How much would I be able to lose though at a calorie deficit by August?

Depends on your stats and your deficit. With only 17 pounds to lose, you should be 1/2 pound a week. Since you're in a rush, you'll push the envelope, so in 8 weeks, probably 8 pounds.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Have you taken in any of the other advice at all?

Can you count your calories between 8 and 8 and stick to a defecit during Ramadan?

Then continue eating to a sensible calorie defecit

You could lose weight and get fitter ..alongside a good outfit, hair and make up you could feel better than you do now

• Sunny1007
    Sunny1007 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    How many calories would be considered healthy for my stats?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Sunny1007 wrote: »
    How many calories would be considered healthy for my stats?

Have you tried seeing what MFP recommends for you?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Log your meals during ramadan and keep to a calorie deficit (eat less than you burn) and you are still eating to lose weight. MFP sets the daily calorie target.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Note: I am not a doctor or a trainer. I agree with those above that that kind of dieting is unlikely to be effective or healthy.

Do you do any kind of regular exercise now? If not, you might see some results from eating sensibly (after Ramadan) and doing some kind of light but regular exercise routine starting right away. New exercisers can may get some improvements in how their clothes fit and changes in their measurements in a month or two. I'm working through the Blogilates Beginner 2.0 Calendar right now. It's challenging if you don't have a lot of core strength or endurance, but it may be possible to start that right away because pilates wouldn't burn a whole lot of calories while you're fasting, and it might help you get into a routine that you can stick to later on.

I agree with the others above that getting nice hair cut and wearing a flattering outfit will do a lot for your confidence. Also, remember that most people are too busy being insecure about themselves to put a lot of thought into others. You're probably judging yourself much more harshly than anyone else will be.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Realistically you could lose 3-6 pounds.

Forget this crazy idea and work on putting a killer outfit together.
  • alliesgettinghealthy
    alliesgettinghealthy Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    While fasting (Ramadan?) if you can count calories that would help lose more since you would be in a deficit for additional weeks. I don't think you should set a time limit on weight loss though, and 15 may be unrealistic for you. Enter your info into MFP and set your deficit. Eat within that and you will lose weight. Don't stress the date too much, if you are still worried by the reunion rolls around just buy a well fitting outfit and maybe some spanx. :)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    MFP sets a caloric goal as part of the setup process. Use the site as designed with a realistic, healthy goal and lose weight.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    How long have you known about this reunion?

I am almost 100% sure more than 3 weeks. :wink:
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's possible, especially at your starting weight (may be more feasible for someone 300-400+ lbs?). If by some chance you DID manage to lose that much weight in such a short time frame, you'd likely be losing mostly water weight. You would technically weigh less but probably wouldn't APPEAR like you weigh less anyway. I think that the best strategy is to lose weight with a moderate deficit- slow and steady.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Pointing this out now is not helpful to the OP. We don't know what her circumstances have been up to this point.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Theoretically it IS possible, but you would have to virtually starve yourself, and you would be constantly ravenous, thinking of food 24/7, probably tired, cranky, distracted and not good for much. Your work will suffer. Your workouts will suffer. YOU will suffer. You would have to have almost superhuman willpower to do this, IMO. I couldn't do it.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Pointing this out now is not helpful to the OP. We don't know what her circumstances have been up to this point.
    Yeah, we do. She's been eating too much.

People she sees know what she looks like, so she's considering I'll-advised weight loss to, what, impress people she used to go to school with but no longer sees.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,012 Member
    Options
    Set MFP to lose 1 lb per week, eat those calories, and get some extra exercise by walking around the mall looking for a killer dress and spanx. Don't make yourself miserable for a month trying to look slightly possibly better for one night. You're not going to lose 15 pounds.

If your weight bothers you, use this experience as extra motivation to lose it sensibly and safely going forward, so you will be a weight you feel confident at for every big event you will have for the rest of your life :). For this one, try to lose a couple of pounds if you can, get dressed up and have fun!
  • demoiselle2014
    Options

Yeah, we do. She's been eating too much.

People she sees know what she looks like, so she's considering I'll-advised weight loss to, what, impress people she used to go to school with but no longer sees.

We don't know why she's starting to work on this just a couple months before the reunion. And no, we don't know that the problem is just that she's been eating too much. We don't know anything about her besides her stats.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If she's overweight, she was eating too much.
  • demoiselle2014
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I don't think you are following me here. I didn't say she wasn't consuming too many calories. I was saying that we don't know what her circumstances have been so it is not helpful to criticize her now for waiting until this point to prepare for the reunion.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    Options
    this isn't high school.

no.one.cares.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    Unless everyone there is posting on their clothing how much weight they've lost coming up to this reunion, NO ONE is really going to care.
    They ALL say the same things:

"I haven't seen you in forever!"
    "You look great!"
    "You haven't aged a bit!"

Yada, yada.

They'll NEVER say:

"Dang you gained a lot of weight!"
    "What happened to you?"
    "You used to be hot."

Go to enjoy everyone. If you're in shape, they you are. If you're not, you're not.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png