Going over Calories

Options
lalainap19
lalainap19 Posts: 165 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So yesterday I went over calories I didn't eat all day only had a protein shake for breakfast. Had a long day did not get home until 6 pm got pizza pigged out and went over my calories by 500 calories. my question is can I purposely stay under calories today by having three protein shakes and it making a difference I'm just wondering because if it won't make a difference I might as well not try. and I need motivation so feel free to add me thank you

Replies

• rkcampbell
    rkcampbell Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Eh...it's one day. I doubt you're over your maintenance with only being 500 over. So you won't GAIN. Except possibly some temporary water weight. Today is a new day so try again! Don't try to "make up for it" today.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    That probably means you ate at or close to maintenance for one day. Log it and move on. In the long term it won't make a difference as long as you go back to eating at a deficit.

You probably realize the reason you did this is you didn't eat all day and then were so ravenous you couldn't resist the pizza and ate too much of it. So that's a lesson. Take nuts, a piece of fruit or an energy bar with you so you have SOMETHING to eat during the day, even if it is not a full meal.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes aren't designed as meal replacements. They are designed to supplement protein.

You can zig-zag your calories if you like. Plenty of people "bank" calories for the weekend. It's just a matter of getting to an overall deficit.
  • lalainap19
    Options
    OK thanks a lot
  • lalainap19
    Options
    OK well its actually a soy protein meal replacement but I wasn't sure if it could help today by going under calories.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    lalainap19 wrote: »
    OK well its actually a soy protein meal replacement but I wasn't sure if it could help today by going under calories.

Or you'll be so hungry from not having food all day that you'll go over calories again tomorrow. Can be a vicious cycle. Make good food choices today and move on.
  • lalainap19
    Options
    OK makes sense and there is still leftover pizza so definitely trying to avoid that lol
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP a lot of people, myself included, look at their calorie goal as a weekly average, rather than trying to stick to the deficit every single day. Weight loss does not happen in a single day, neither does weight gain, although if you did really go crazy on the pizza you may see some water weight gain in the next day or so, try not to be alarmed.

But as others have said, depending on what calorie deficit you have set up (did you set it to lose 1 lb/week, 2 lbs?) 500 cals over may take you back to your maintenance calorie level and wouldn't automatically mean that you would gain weight.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Do you live alone? Are you afraid you will binge on the leftover pizza? If you don't have family members in the house and don't think you can fit pizza into your calorie goals, THROW IT AWAY. I hate wasting food, but better that it goes down the disposal than onto my hips.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend trying to go hungry for a day trying to make up for a calorie surplus the previous day. At the end of the week it should be a wash assuming that 90% of the time you're eating at a deficit and only went over on one day. Going over on a day or even a weekend isn't going to hurt you. They key is consistency. I fell off the wagon this past weekend and ended up being slightly lower in weight than before the weekend even began. Sometimes going that does a mind & body good.
  • lalainap19
    Options
    I set 2 pounds a week so a deficit of 1200 and yes I was 163 and weighed this morning freaking out when I seen 166 I couldn't believe it I was thinking I couldn't have eaten 3 pounds of food geeezzz.. That's why o thought if I can stay under calories.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    That probably means you ate at or close to maintenance for one day. Log it and move on. In the long term it won't make a difference as long as you go back to eating at a deficit.

You probably realize the reason you did this is you didn't eat all day and then were so ravenous you couldn't resist the pizza and ate too much of it. So that's a lesson. Take nuts, a piece of fruit or an energy bar with you so you have SOMETHING to eat during the day, even if it is not a full meal.

^^^ That.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I set 2 pounds a week so a deficit of 1200 and yes I was 163 and weighed this morning freaking out when I seen 166 I couldn't believe it I was thinking I couldn't have eaten 3 pounds of food geeezzz.. That's why o thought if I can stay under calories.

1200 net is MFPs lowest default minimum. That minimum is based on "I want to lose 2 pounds per week."

Many women cannot sustain 1200 net calories. If 1200 is likely to make you binge, lower your weekly goal. 2 pounds a week is more appropriate for someone that has 75+ pounds to lose...not 36 pounds.
  • lalainap19
    Options
    Yeah that's true I never binge just yesterday I was starving all day because I was out playing miniature golf and haven't had pizza since before mfp so I over ate but I didn't know that one day over eating can make me gain 3 pounds over night
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's true I never binge just yesterday I was starving all day because I was out playing miniature golf and haven't had pizza since before mfp so I over ate but I didn't know that one day over eating can make me gain 3 pounds over night

Pizza is often loaded with sodium, which in turn means you can (and often will) retain water. The weight should come back off in a few days.

~Lyssa
  • lalainap19
    Options
    That's a relief
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    That's a relief

Yep. I have a bit of a pho addiction (Vietnamese soup), but the sodium intake is absolutely ridiculous. I indulge in it every couple of weeks, but I know I'm more than likely going to see an increase on the scale for a couple of days if I do. I just keep that in mind when I see it on the scale.
  • lalainap19
    Options
    Will cutting most sodium the next following days help it come off any faster?
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Stop looking for the "fastest" way to lose weight and start looking for the most sustainable way to lose weight. Trying to do it as fast as possible is going to lead you to failure in the long run.

Figure out a plan that you can stick with (hint: It's probably not eating 1200 calories) until you've lost the weight and then adjust said plan for maintenance.

This is a marathon, not a sprint. You're going to burn yourself out.
  • lalainap19
    Options
    Everyone is saying that 1,200 calories is not good but I have been doing fine on it. People say its starving my body but I haven't felt starved. I'm a stay at home mom so I don't get out much and exercise I'm trying to change that but I must not be doing something right because I only lost 2 pounds with my 23 days on myfitnesspal I guess since I don't know much about fitness diet exercise I expect to see results already.