Diet whey shakes......helpful or hindrance?

Options
hausoftay
hausoftay Posts: 12 Member
So basically my friend gave me a month supply of diet whey as he had an reaction to the stuff. I was wondering if anyone has used them on here and if they help or make you binge as they are to be used as a meal replacement? Any advice and help would be great ☺☺☺

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Whey (diet or otherwise) isn't intended to be a meal replacement...it's merely a way to supplement your protein intake if you don't otherwise get enough through the food you eat.

If you like smoothies and they'll fill you up, they're fine to have once in a while as a meal. I wouldn't particularly recommend relying on them for any sort of weight management plan though.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    What, exactly, is "diet" whey?

I have whey protein powder I make into shakes to help me reach my protein goal (and also because they're dessert-like and don't make me feel sick like actual dessert tends to), but I'm not sure if that's the same thing you're talking about.

Whey is an isolate protein, usually, and aren't meant to be meal replacements - they're protein supplements. If you're looking for a meal replacement, generally you'll want to find a proper one as it'll have more nutrients and such (though actual food and caloric restriction is a much better route).

But, yeah. "Diet" whey?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    ThatMouse wrote: »
    What, exactly, is "diet" whey?

I have whey protein powder I make into shakes to help me reach my protein goal (and also because they're dessert-like and don't make me feel sick like actual dessert tends to), but I'm not sure if that's the same thing you're talking about.

Whey is an isolate protein, usually, and aren't meant to be meal replacements - they're protein supplements. If you're looking for a meal replacement, generally you'll want to find a proper one as it'll have more nutrients and such (though actual food and caloric restriction is a much better route).

But, yeah. "Diet" whey?

I would guess sugar-free sweetener etc that makes it lower calorie than others?

Just a guess though.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Whey (diet or otherwise) isn't intended to be a meal replacement...it's merely a way to supplement your protein intake if you don't otherwise get enough through the food you eat.

If you like smoothies and they'll fill you up, they're fine to have once in a while as a meal. I wouldn't particularly recommend relying on them for any sort of weight management plan though.

This.

Is there even such a thing as "diet" whey?