I've opened my diary - carb macro help?

Options
I'm 46, started MFP at 208 3 weeks ago, weighed in today at 201. Gluten free.
I'm ignoring the sodium/sugar macros, but I never really seem to hit my carb requirements. Is this something I need to worry about?

I just don't really do the standard carbs, and haven't for years, it's not my go-to.
Do I need to make an effort to increase in beans/chick peas, etc. for carb content?

Replies

• 777twist
    777twist Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you should be hitting your carb macro goal or not. But if you aren't paying attention to Sodium and Sugar macros, why not replace one of them with Fiber. I think as people get older, they need more fiber... so it would be interesting to see if you are getting enough of that considering you don't get a lot of carbs.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of carbs you're trying to meet. What do you have your goals set as? Maybe reduce the carbs and increase the protein?
  • Mercedespony
    Mercedespony Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Goals are set at losing 1lb a week. I'm not sure if the carb macro MFP set for me is high or low.. I just typed in my height, 5'8", 208 lb and age 46... this is what it spit out at me.

Re: fibre -- I'm fairly regular ;) but I did buy some chia seeds last week and was planning on starting to add them to my yoghurt, salads, etc.. for some extra

Should I wait it out another week, keep eating like I normally do [with less carb than MFP has noted], and if I'm still feeling good/energy, just change my profile and decrease my carb macro?
  • broscientist
    broscientist Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Just make sure your getting your Protein and Fats.
    I think you should up the protein intake a little bit.

Carb intake is pretty irreverent.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    MFP is great for tracking, but is way off the mark for recommended carbs (too high), fat, and protein (both too low) macros. You can go to "goals" and reset your macros to better reflect your desired eating plan. Personally, I found that keeping carbs <100 g/day worked the best for steady weight loss (faster in the beginning at 215 lbs. and somewhat slower as I approached target). See marksdailyapple.com for more details.