Another post about fitbit.

Options
britishbeau
britishbeau Posts: 60 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I know theres a trillion posts on here about it but i cant find the answer i need.

Im looking at getting the fitbit charge hr. hoping it will get me moving more. my question is does it track weight lifting, pilates and yoga well? i do plenty of running so it would be great for that, but i love doing the other stuff too, and just wondering if its accurate for that?

i had a hr before, with a chest strap but was told its inaccurate for lifting. i have a nike gps watch which is great and i will still use, so would a fitbit be any use to me?

also, i dont have a huge amount of money atm so its a big investment for me.

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting, pilates, and yoga would not be tracked well by Fitbit, or any other tracker currently on the market.

Fitbit tracks motion, so walking and running are what it's best at. Pilates and yoga are primarily stationary, low motion activities.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    No heart rate monitors track those things well.

I love my fitbit. It motivates me to get my 10k a day. But, I did not link it with MPF.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I just got a fitbit One yesterday and I really like it so far! I do have it linked with MFP. I did a Body Pump class this morning and logged it into MFP to get my Active Minutes in on Fit Bit. It wouldn't track otherwise because the class is almost all stationary weight lifting. Seems to work for me! You can also log active minutes directly into the fit bit app. I'm really new to it do I'm figuring it all out!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Im looking at getting the fitbit charge hr. hoping it will get me moving more. my question is does it track weight lifting, pilates and yoga well? i do plenty of running so it would be great for that, but i love doing the other stuff too, and just wondering if its accurate for that?

I love my Charge HR. I log my yoga in Fitbit (never MFP), but not lifting. I just consider it extra "insurance" that I'm eating at a deficit. (In other words, I let it compensate for any underestimation of my food.) YMMV.

Buy one at a store near you, keep the receipt, and return it if you don't like it.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • britishbeau
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »

I love my Charge HR. I log my yoga in Fitbit (never MFP), but not lifting. I just consider it extra "insurance" that I'm eating at a deficit. (In other words, I let it compensate for any underestimation of my food.) YMMV.

Buy one at a store near you, keep the receipt, and return it if you don't like it.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

Thanks everyone, the place im buying from says its excluded from 30 days return, so if i bought one, i cant return it.
  • treesagreen1
    treesagreen1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a misfit flash and seems to pick up when I do a zumba dvd its supposed to be good for swimming as well
  • lisaweaver3
    lisaweaver3 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    While it will track heart rate and steps, you can also manually add your other exercises such as yoga, pilates, etc. You can also order your fitbit off their website. Good luck!
  • britishbeau
    Options
    While it will track heart rate and steps, you can also manually add your other exercises such as yoga, pilates, etc. You can also order your fitbit off their website. Good luck!

aaaargh its out of stock on the website :( but thanks for the info.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit, never leave home without it. It works perfectly... I do a lot of physical activity where my feet are moving. When I spin I just tuck it inside my sneaker :smile: Other exercises I simply log manually into MFP. I also log my regular workouts where I know Fitbit is tracking, just have to make sure you put the start time and duration so there's no double counting. It sync's up nicely with MFP.

I just ordered the new Bellabeat Leaf. I can't wait to get that!
  • britishbeau
    Options
    does the charge hr vibrate when youve been inactive for a while?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    When I spin I just tuck it inside my sneaker :smile: Other exercises I simply log manually into MFP. I also log my regular workouts where I know Fitbit is tracking, just have to make sure you put the start time and duration so there's no double counting.

Charge HR's heart rate sensors only work when it's on your wrist.

Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn during that time, so it's better to log exercise in Fitbit rather than MFP.
    does the charge hr vibrate when youve been inactive for a while?

No.
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options

aaaargh its out of stock on the website :( but thanks for the info.

You should buy it on Amazon anyway,it seems to be slightly cheaper there.