I'm about to say eff it all and eat ALL the ice cream!

Options
I'm so frustrated!!

I have lost about 25 lbs, but recently, I'm not only NOT losing, but I'm actively GAINING.

I'm a teacher and since it is summer, I have been working out daily. I have a HRM, so I know exactly how many calories I am burning with my workouts. I have been watching what I eat, both quality and quantity.

My husband and I are going on a cruise in about a week, so I gave up alcohol completely to help flatten my tummy. That's when I started gaining!

I don't know what to do, and I'm so frustrated that yesterday I made myself a delicious bowl of butter crunch ice cream topped with butterscotch and chopped almonds. I need help, otherwise I'm going to give up.

Replies

• smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm so frustrated!!

I have lost about 25 lbs, but recently, I'm not only NOT losing, but I'm actively GAINING.

I'm a teacher and since it is summer, I have been working out daily. I have a HRM, so I know exactly how many calories I am burning with my workouts. I have been watching what I eat, both quality and quantity.

My husband and I are going on a cruise in about a week, so I gave up alcohol completely to help flatten my tummy. That's when I started gaining!

I don't know what to do, and I'm so frustrated that yesterday I made myself a delicious bowl of butter crunch ice cream topped with butterscotch and chopped almonds. I need help, otherwise I'm going to give up.

How much have you gained and over how long? Where are you in your cycle? It could be temporary water weight if you're anywhere close to getting your period...
  • Adirafox
    Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I had lost 25 lbs, and I've been up 2 lbs for a couple of weeks, and yesterday (and today) the scale said I was up ANOTHER 2 lbs!! I'm at the midpoint of my cycle.
  • Winston1717
    Winston1717 Posts: 184
    Options
    Don't say Eff it! Think about how hard you have worked to get to where you are! I have been there myself. Once you start to slide back you get even more discouraged and finally give up completely! Food and alcohol are not worth the good you have done for yourself!

Check your diet, switch things up. As for your work out...trick your body switch that up as well and you will see results.

Good luck!
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I agree with what others have said about changing things up (exercise and calorie intake). Go ahead and eat the ice cream, but don't give up!
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. You've done great so far! Continue to eat like you have been, enjoy your cruise and then come back and figure out what's not working for you. Maybe you just need to change up your routine. I get stagnant and have to change my exercise and calories.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Alcohol dehydrates you. That's what I bet it is; you're getting the fluid back on board.
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    I agree with Winston. Switch it up. Different food. Different workouts. Don't panic. It is ok to have some ice cream if it fits your macros. :)
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    No! Don't call it quits! Reevaluate your eating habits and try to change it up, change your workout routines. Change does the body good and it could start moving things in the right direction. Keep up with the no alcohol it seems like a good way to go, and drink up the water. I was in your shoes with that same feeling last month and I made a few changes and things seems to be going well now. Don't lose all your hard work by a few pounds, you've done so much already.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I'm so frustrated!!

deprivation is the enemy. if you were cutting out foods you wanted to eat in order to lose that 25lbs, eventually you are going to go back and binge on those foods. this is how people get stuck yo-yo dieting.

on the days where you really, really want ice cream. make yourself some ice cream and eat it without any guilt. sometimes just a few spoonfuls is enough. it's constant deprivation of foods you want and then the feelings of guilt/shame that follow after eating them, which cause more people to develop unhealthy relationships with food.

you can always add an extra 30 minutes or an hour of cardio on those days to offset the extra calories.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    You can easily retain 4 pounds of water. Even if you eat ALL the ice cream, go back to your healthy routine afterward. You've hit a minor plateau.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    One month in every three or four my weight jumps up and stays up for 4-5 weeks. Then suddenly it drops away again. Power through and you'll be fine.

I'm still tracking way above where I should be, but my waist is smaller so I'm learning to live with it.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize since most of us have had those moments of gaining even when we've been really good. It comes with the territory as your body adjusts. The numbers will fall again. And think of what you'd tell your students when they want to give up...I know you wouldn't let them! Just do the best you can and enjoy your cruise (with a few treats but lots of moderation!).
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    We can never give up. Full stop. Enjoy the icecream then back at it.
  • NathanFronk
    NathanFronk Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Alcohol dehydrates you.

Are the weight gains in the morning?

If you got drunk again, and then weighed yourself in the AM, I bet you'd be lighter.

This doesn't mean drink. It means drinking shows illusionary weight-loss.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Just have a bowl of ice cream and chill out.
  • mduncan4693
    mduncan4693 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How are your measurements looking? There will be times when you don't lose weight but you do lose inches.....this is a mathematical exercise over time.......long term view and establishing key habits that will give you what you desire but it may take some time. I lost 10 pounds just like that but haven't lost much in the last 30 days but the average is now about 1 pound a week so, in a year that would be 52 pounds and I would be happy with that . . . have fun on the cruise and I do agree you should enjoy the ice cream but just count the calories and make sure your average is at or near your goal ....if over just jump on the treadmill or elleptical and burn some calories off to balance it out....Cheers
  • dsgoingtodoit
    dsgoingtodoit Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Ya know...by posting this...you know that you are only hurting yourself if you make that choice.

You have worked hard to lose the weight you have lost.

Being mid-cycle, having high sodium intake, not drinking enough water, not sleeping as much as your body requires, inflammation in the body from other issues like allergies, arthritis etc....all can cause water retention. Being even slightly dehydrated...slows metabolism down 60%...

So - you have either chosen to flush the ice cream down the toilet...or you have eaten it. Either way...
    be proud of what you have accomplished to date. Accept that you WILL see your scale fluctuate 3-5 lbs DAILY sometimes...
    and don't throw in the towel. As someone who is older...and who threw in the towel...several times ago...I hope you will trust me...it doesn't make it better...to quit.

You CAN make the changes to live leaner, longer and healthier...but you have to commit to it. If you ate the ice cream - or you didn't - who cares?(YOU DO....BECAUSE YOU ARE TAKING CARE OF YOURSELF) You made a choice, now accept the consequences...THE GOOD OR THE BAD.
    You can do it!
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Don't give up...this is just a sticking point that can be overcome. Hang in there and keep pushing :smile:

8488541.png
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Do not give up. We have all been there. I have just recently started losing again. No loss since January. If you have increased your workouts, it's possible you might need more calories. Don't eat ALL the ice cream. Have a half cup to satisfy your craving. When you feel like giving up, think about how far you have come. This journey is not an easy one, and can tear us down mentally on one bad day. Also, this is what I tell myself when I want to eff it and eat everything....."Discipline is knowing how to decide between what we want most, and what we want right now". You can do it!!!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    "I'm about to say eff it all and eat ALL the ice cream!"

alex-russo-eating-ice-cream-o.gif

Eat Ice Cream and get back at it tomorrow