What was your moment?

Options
Everyone has a moment when you know NOW is the time you need to buckle down and lose weight. Now is the time where you're not going to fail again and this time will be different. Because 6 months from now you'll wish you started today!
Mine was a doctor visit. We were just going over my family history and the realization that all of the men in my family don't make it very far was enough for me to not want to end up having a short life! So I'm making some big changes and it's all coming from counting calories and this app community!
So what was your moment?!

Replies

• kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    There were three separate incidents that happened to me that finally encouraged me to get serious about weight loss:

1. I visited an amusement park with my family and was too fat to ride any roller coasters. I LOVE thrill rides and was so embarrassed and let down that I couldn't enjoy the rides
    2. My mom, who has Type 2 diabetes due to her weight, experienced a sudden drop in blood sugar and I had to help her walk to the car, then get out and get her something to eat because she felt incapable of walking. It is scary when your mother, only in her early 50s, tells you she can't walk without help.
    3. My aunt, who has battled her weight all her life, developed sleep apnea and now has to use a CPAP machine.

That all happened in the course of six months. I started losing weight a year ago and am now 65 pounds lighter!
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    There were three separate incidents that happened to me that finally encouraged me to get serious about weight loss:

1. I visited an amusement park with my family and was too fat to ride any roller coasters. I LOVE thrill rides and was so embarrassed and let down that I couldn't enjoy the rides
    2. My mom, who has Type 2 diabetes due to her weight, experienced a sudden drop in blood sugar and I had to help her walk to the car, then get out and get her something to eat because she felt incapable of walking. It is scary when your mother, only in her early 50s, tells you she can't walk without help.
    3. My aunt, who has battled her weight all her life, developed sleep apnea and now has to use a CPAP machine.

That all happened in the course of six months. I started losing weight a year ago and am now 65 pounds lighter!
  • David_2015
    David_2015 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Great thread idea! Mine was going to an interview and wearing a suit I hadn't worn since a christening a few months before, and it was suddenly really REALLY tight! I'd woken up on the morning of the interview and after putting it on and realising, it was too late for other options and I had to just wear it. Horrible feeling and I felt awkward the entire interview.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Doctor mentioned blood pressure medication. Went home and looked at a picture of me from the previous vacation. Decided to lose 112 pounds. Downloaded MFP and MapMyWalk/Fitness. Lost 112 pounds.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i just... decided i was tired of being fat. i was confident and happy with how i looked, my overall health was good (BP and sugars within normal ranges)... i was just tired of being fat and looking fat in pictures. enough was enough.
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I was tired of being tired all the time. But what really lit the fire under me was a physical and blood work that showed I was borderline everything.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Do you remember that, "Ice Bucket Challenge," from last year? I got nominated by my cousin so I did it... When I watched the video I thought, "I can't believe I'm really that big." hahaha that was my turning point.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    One day I told myself I didn't want to be another middle-aged man who had let himself go.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Not a single moment but several added together.

Twice I was walking somewhere with my family and watching them get further and further ahead of me despite walking as fast as I could. My leg hurt and I just wanted to sit down on the sidewalk. It was just a couple of blocks not a 5 mile hike! I don't want to be left behind or have people have to slow down for me. I was only 40 years old. I don't want to end up stuck in a chair or a bed while life passes me by for my remaining years.
    Climbing a couple of flights of stairs and being almost out of breath.
    Increase in pain and discomfort. I would spend a lot of the night tossing and turning because I couldn't get comfortable in bed.
    Spilling something on myself just before going out and realizing none of my nice clothes really fit anymore.
    That isn't how I want to live.

After losing 24 pounds and feeling really good now, I know that I didn't fully realize how poor my condition was getting. At the time I wouldn't have said I felt bad. I told myself I was okay because I wasn't actually sick but there were a lot of things I wasn't doing because of my weight.
  • lovelaughrun
    lovelaughrun Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Today actually. I weighed myself finally (I have avoided it because I jumped on the whole "go by how your clothes feel" bandwagon). The weight I lost a few years ago has crept back on. I had to face reality that just because I train hard doesn't mind I can treat myself daily and that it's time to calorie count and eat to a deficit and that the scales will be a reflection of the effort I put in. I remember how unhappy I was when I first started this journey 3 years ago and no way am I going back there
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    There was this pic...and then I yo yo'd..then there was a doctors visit and I found MFP...that was 2 years ago...haven't looked back.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    It involved a KTV in Taichung.....
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I stepped on the scales one day, just out of curiosity, and I was at 99.7kg. So close to the dreaded 100... That spurred me in to doing something...
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    There's a picture of me at my oldest daughter's 3rd birthday party. I was wearing an outfit I really liked at the time. I looked so different in that picture than my mental picture of myself. My love handles were so pronounced that they looked like a second set of boobs! I looked at that picture and knew something had to change. It took some experimenting to find what worked since I had never really tried to lose weight before, but that was the beginning.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    My son being born. It was like "well crap, it's not just about me anymore". Tried eating less, failed. Tried moving more, failed. Found MFP and I'm down 40lbs in 5 months. Just had to find that sweet spot!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    cyronius wrote: »
    I stepped on the scales one day, just out of curiosity, and I was at 99.7kg. So close to the dreaded 100... That spurred me in to doing something...
    Hey, I'm done losing and I still weigh more than the dreaded 100.

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Whenever I can't fit into my red jeans, it's time to buckle down and count accurately.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,919 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    cyronius wrote: »
    Hey, I'm done losing and I still weigh more than the dreaded 100.

You're TALL!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,919 Member
    Options
    My moment was when my fiance and I set a date and I thought about wedding pictures.

• gadaniels72
    gadaniels72 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    In May, my mom and I went on a cruise. Three things happened:
    • We did a ruins tour and I had a really hard time with the steps
    • We did a beach/boat tour and my 2 piece swim dress, in the largest size I could find, the bottoms kept falling down under my shorts because they were too small
    • I remember sitting on the promenade and looking up where there were mirrors above the sofas. I did not like how I looked sitting on the sofa.