Should I log walking to and from work?

Options
This question isn't as pathetic as it sounds! My walk from the station to work takes about 17 minutes and is 1.2 miles according to Google maps. This works out as nearly 100 calories one way.

Seeing as my exercise is set to 'sedentary' is it worth counting this? I haven't been doing so till now.

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Have you been losing? If so, I wouldn't log it.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    No. I only log vigorous, formal exercise. . . like treadmill, fitness trampoline, biking. The rest is just daily living.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have some good news and some bad news .......the good news is that walking at 4mph is great exercise. The bad news is that you'd only be burning 100 cal walking 1.2 miles if you weighed about 277 lbs. The formula to get the net calorie expended walking (not including race walking) is .30 x weight in lbs x distance in miles (runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning )

If you have your exercise level set a sedentary it's worth logging but I would be cautions about eating back the exercise calories.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    My sons school is .5 miles away from my house. I walk him to school in the morning and I walk him home in the afternoon so that's 2 miles. I have my activity level set to, "Lightly active," so I don't count those 2 miles.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I count that as exercise. I walk A LOT and log an hour easy during the day and I walk fast. I typically burn over 200 calories by the time I get to work. I just make sure I keep my calories steady and at a deficit and not factor those exercise calories into my diet.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    This question isn't as pathetic as it sounds! My walk from the station to work takes about 17 minutes and is 1.2 miles according to Google maps. This works out as nearly 100 calories one way.

Seeing as my exercise is set to 'sedentary' is it worth counting this? I haven't been doing so till now.

Are you burning more calories than if you took a bus or a cab? If yes, log it. Yes, it's part of your normal daily routine, but walking my dog is part of my daily routine.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I do, but only because I have my activity level set to sedentary. I have a similar walk to you, and I go on another 3 mile walk later in the afternoon/evening, so I just combine it.