16/8 fasting diet

hi all,
I'm new. Just wondered if anyone has tried the 16/8 fasting diet ? I started today & feel quite positive. It would be interesting to hear other people's experiences :)

Replies

• higbert
    higbert Posts: 1 Member
    I try to intermittently fast 18/6. I don't find it hard as I eat with kids about 5.30/6 go to bed late and get up about 8am. Not that hungry when I wake up but as 12 approaches food is on my mind. Apparently it's good to do some cardio or HIIT training towards the end of the fast as it gives a good burn. I have done it and it's good as generally I find I'm not hungry for a while after exercise. You need to drink plenty of water. I think black coffee is ok also.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    First of all it is not a diet. All this is, is a eating schedule. You still consume your calories in the 8 hour window as you would if you had started break fast at 8:00 a.m. and ate your calories through out the day..

You will only loose weight if you stay in your deficit no matter what time you start and end eating.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    higbert wrote: »
    I try to intermittently fast 18/6. I don't find it hard as I eat with kids about 5.30/6 go to bed late and get up about 8am. Not that hungry when I wake up but as 12 approaches food is on my mind. Apparently it's good to do some cardio or HIIT training towards the end of the fast as it gives a good burn. I have done it and it's good as generally I find I'm not hungry for a while after exercise. You need to drink plenty of water. I think black coffee is ok also.

Bolded is a myth. I also find that 16:8 works to help me control my hunger. But I've preferred to eat within this window my whole life.
  • Iwantatinytum
    Iwantatinytum Posts: 10 Member
    I know it's not a diet as such I just didn't know what else to call it ;)
    I'm back on mfp so I can keep a track of my calorie intake so hopefully I'll get on top of my poor eating habits it I give myself a window of time to eat within.
    I'm drinking lots more water in the mornings to fill me up. It's certainly helping to keep me more focused than being on SW and adopting the attitude that I can eat as much as I like of certain foods which results in me constantly snacking :#
    Would be good to keep updated what everyone's losses are by adopting this approach ?
    Thanks all x
  • Iwantatinytum
    Iwantatinytum Posts: 10 Member
    I know it's not a diet as such I just didn't know what else to call it ;)
    I'm back on mfp so I can keep a track of my calorie intake so hopefully I'll get on top of my poor eating habits it I give myself a window of time to eat within.
    I'm drinking lots more water in the mornings to fill me up. It's certainly helping to keep me more focused than being on SW and adopting the attitude that I can eat as much as I like of certain foods which results in me constantly snacking :#
    Would be good to keep updated what everyone's losses are by adopting this approach ?
    Thanks all x
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    So - apart from 8 hours, where you are presumably asleep, you do all your eating while you are awake during the other 16 hours. how is that different from anyone else?
    - unless its the other way around? It is isn't it? :blush::neutral:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Here's a link to one of the groups: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

Lots of information there.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    yogicarl wrote: »
    So - apart from 8 hours, where you are presumably asleep, you do all your eating while you are awake during the other 16 hours. how is that different from anyone else?
    - unless its the other way around? It is isn't it? :blush::neutral:

LOL, yes, it's fast for 16 hours and eat for 8. A lot of people do this naturally. My stepfather eats breakfast at 6 am, lunch around noon, and dinner at 4 pm and rarely snacks after that. He naturally follows this type of approach. Many people (myself included) seem to have gotten away from this type of eating that was more common in the past and find that eating in this style makes diet adherence a lot easier. I know that I find it much more satisfying eating a couple of large meals than a lot of small meals.
  • Terrappyn1
    Terrappyn1 Posts: 51 Member
    Been thinking about doing this.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    I'm doing that, too! I call it "not eating in my sleep". ;)
  • LaylaFatimah
    LaylaFatimah Posts: 1 Member
    Hi, Iv just started this diet too and am also tracking My food with mfp and trying to cut the carbs down. I pretty much lived on carbs and would graze through the day so a big lifestyle change and body shock for me. Has anyone had any success doing the 18 / 6 ?