Stress eating!!

Options
Yes, stress eating is real. Life is challenging and as human beings we seek immediate gratification. We had a bad day at work or had trouble getting out of bed this morning: "Meh, let me head to Starbucks..I'll order something healthy!" However, when we get there and see all the delicious junk food they have on display, we do NOT make the healthier choice.

So, how do we avoid over eating or eating unhealthy foods? Unfortunately, food is as bad of an addiction as alcohol and other drugs..but this one is available on every corner, every day, and at any time. And it's legal. So, we must stop ourselves at cravings. Cravings are like a very hungry and angry lion, if you keep feeding it..it's never gonna go away. Instead, distract yourself by going for a walk, swimming, biking, hiking, etc. If you don't feed the lion (feeding your cravings with negative thoughts), eventually he will become weak and die. Gruesome, I know..but I couldn't think of a better analogy. :( Also, cravings should not be confused with hunger. If you're merely hungry, take the time to fix yourself a healthy snack or meal. However, when you're STARVING you are more than likely going to take the easy route and eat fast food.

Our minds and bodies are conditioned by habitual behavior. The more we do something, the more likely we are to stick to it. Find a hobby or physical activity that you enjoy and want to get better at. Remember, baby steps. If you try to run a mile your first day you're going to burn out very quickly. I know you have the energy and the drive to just take off running but you want to pace yourself in order to have a long term effect! :)

Anyway, that's a bit of my advice. Remember, acknowledge your cravings but don't feed them (literally and figuratively)!

Replies

• bella_mandii
    bella_mandii Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Very true.
  • Dawn410
    Dawn410 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Knowing your triggers and avoiding them also works wonders. If you can't see the pastries at Starbucks without caving, don't go to Starbucks. I personally have trouble stopping myself from eating like 8 oreos. So i don't buy oreos.