Frustrated with myself

Options
sissiluv
sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
It feels like I'm spinning out of control. Every time I eat now since I plateaued a few months ago I feel guilty, like a failure. It got to the point where I was eating little enough to drive me straight into starvation mode, according to a dietitian I saw.
She laid out a meal plan for me on what to eat but the feelings still persist. Every time I look at someone skinnier to me I think about what they must eat in a day and that I should cut back even more.
I know it isn't smart to eat at around 1200 calories a day (for me at least. I'm 5'10)-that's what got me into starvation mode. But every time I go above it now it feels as though I'm binging, even if I'm just eating back burned calories.
I've taken breaks from MFP but then I don't count and I just feel even worse.

I don't know what to do.

Help?

Replies

• AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Don't despair or beat up yourself!i read a book that totally changed and helped how I view food,it is called "have your cake and skinny jeans too". It has been a huge hellp for me dealing with those same issues!t
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I'd say trust the dietician. You can't treat food as the enemy or as something to feel bad about. I've been there. The last time I lost weight, I ended up in the same boat, and I sucummbed to the temptation to keep cutting out food (because I always felt guilty eating) and upping my exercise to offset that guilt. It reached a point where I was eating 300 calories a day, max, and working out for at least an hour six days a week. I did end up losing weight, but a lot of it was lean body mass. I was contantly exhausted and irritable, I got frequent headaches and I wasn't able to enjoy most of my life because I always felt like I was at risk of cheating on my diet (by which I mean I was afraid I would eat something) or that I was skipping my workouts to be with people. I did a lot of metabolic damage to myself that took years to repair, and I gained about 100 lbs (more than I lost in the first place) in the process of getting my metabolism back. This time, I worked with a dietician to make sure I didn't go back to anorexic levels and lost the weight that way. I now weigh 195 lbs (as opposed to 185 lbs by starving myself), but I have 5% less body fat and four less inches on my waist. I know it can seem tempting to keep cutting back, but it doesn't help. Make sure you get enough fuel. If you're plateauing, change something up. I hit a plateau about six months back that I couldn't shake (I just kept losing and finding the same 10 lbs), so I started doing Insanity to jump start things. I eat a lot more now, but I am losing body fat again. Food isn't the enemy and neither is your body. You just have to find the right balance. Good luck and feel free to add me.
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    Take a deep breath. Now take a couple more. If your own mind did a good job at food intake, you wouldnt be here in the first place right....

How 'bout let your daily intake be completely in the dieticians hands for a while. Give yourself a vacation from the worry of it...gradually i bet you will build up some trust and enjoy the journey much more:)