low carb or count calories

Options
2»

Replies

• jonnybhoy
    jonnybhoy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am eating low/moderate carb and logging, I am eating a deficit of about 1K calories a day - the bonus for me is that I don't feel hungry between meals
  • Caitoriri
    Caitoriri Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just want to add, some people do a low carb diet because they like low carb.
    If you're not enjoying it, then quit!! Find a way of eating that doesn't stress you, you're bound to stick to it for longer. As long as you're in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight, low carb, low fat, whatever (even low protein, though I definitely wouldn't recommend that while you're actively losing weight)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    You need to count calories on low carb. Some don't because they naturally create the deficit needed to lose weight., but those who can't do that must count. You can't think of it as a diet, nor think about what you can't have on the eating plan or it won't work. Think about what you can have and focus on how that way of eating makes you feel in general. Then go from there.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If you really want to know how to lose weight search and read the following discussions:
    Logging Accurately..step by step guide
    Calorie Counting 101
    Small But Super Helpful Habits
    Logging accuracy, consistency, and you're probably eating more than you think.
    Diagnosed/Living With PCOS? READ ME!
    Starvation Mode - Adaptive Thermogenesis and Weight Loss
    The Starvation Mode Myth...again.
    Dont lose weight...
    BMR and TDEE Explained for Those Needing a Guide
    HELP !!!!!!!17 Day, Weight Watchers, Fast Metabolism, DASH or WHAT?????
    The really blunt list of things to consider when losing weight.
    In Place of a road Map: Short N' Sweet
    Looking for a detox/cleanse?
    Just Another Plateau and Weigh-In Thread
    It is unlikely that you will lose weight consistently (i.e., weight loss is not linear)
    So you want a nice stomach
    Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))
    Why Aspartame Isn't Scary

Ahhh now whilst you mean well copying and pasting the stickies doesn't really work because they have stickied completely gumby threads like "super unhelpful habits"

OP -Just read these two and OP focus on your calories and work out the way that works for you to reach your defecit happily ..it may be low carb but it may be eat everything in moderation (I'm the latter)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Eat low carb, if you don't lose weight after a month eat less food.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Or eat fewer calories than you burn .. and if you want to try low carb as a way to get to your defecit and think you can stick with it do that.. if you don't don't

then you won't have to wait a month
  • nat1324
    nat1324 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions everyone :smile:
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    There are also different ways of eating "low carb" -- there's "lower carb", and "low carb" and "no carb"... lol. For me, I don't restrict my vegetables and fruit, except for a few that upset my stomach (like apples and, sadly, watermelons :( ). My "low carb" comes from cutting out grains almost entirely. I still eat some oatmeal, and Ezekiel bread. But that's about it. So that makes it easy to cut calories in things. Like for instance I had a burger the other night for dinner. I've discovered frozen Angus beef patties at Costco. They're pretty big so I eat just one. I put a slice of cheese on it, sliced a tomato, and 1/4 of an avocado. But no bun. For me that bun would be "empty" calories simply because bread adds a lot of calories, especially when it's just your basic ordinary white hamburger bun. I prefer to eat those somewhere else, if I have them leftover.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You need to count calories on low carb. Some don't because they naturally create the deficit needed to lose weight., but those who can't do that must count. You can't think of it as a diet, nor think about what you can't have on the eating plan or it won't work. Think about what you can have and focus on how that way of eating makes you feel in general. Then go from there.

SOME people need to count calories on low carb.
    Some don't.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Some don't.

How is what you said any different than what she said except to argue very tiny semantics? She pointed out that calorie counting wasn't always necessary for low carbing. What's your point?

I'll remind you what she said:

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Some don't.

How is what you said any different than what she said except to argue very tiny semantics? She pointed out that calorie counting wasn't always necessary for low carbing. What's your point?

I'll remind you what she said:

Changing the bolding a bit:
    I was simply reinforcing that some folks don't, in fact, have to count calories.

OP: best of luck finding your best approach. cheers
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    calorie count all the way.. i went low carb, and spent 3 days in bed, all the weight i lost went back on as soon i stopped anyway
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    yarwell wrote: »

Or eat fewer calories than you burn .. and if you want to try low carb as a way to get to your defecit and think you can stick with it do that.. if you don't don't

then you won't have to wait a month

yes you will, to find out how many calories you burn. Same problem.