runners - coming back from high ankle sprain - moving forward

Options
4leighbee
4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
Been sidelined since mid-April with a bad sprain and a bad attitude BUT I'm back in the gym weight training (everything, including squats - ankle feels stable enough), riding the stationary bike and walking ...

(I can keep from limping when walking but not without at least a little pain, and I can't run on it yet. It's the up-on-my-toes action and of course the impact that is a deal-breaker for now.)

Running is my passion and my PT goal and my sanity. Please give me some ideas to keep this from happening again, beyond alphabet circles in the air. I know my PTist will give me ideas and I am online looking for ideas ... but I want your thoughts, too ... especially other runners who have come back from ankle sprain(s) and run long distances.

Thanks mucho!
:)

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Im recovering from a broken fib.
    my best advice, discuss this with your PT. They know the exact status of your ankle andyour current limitations
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Yes, I am going twice a week, and I'm being a good patient, actually (which is not always the case). I'm very motivated for this not to happen again. Sorry for your situation and thanks for your response.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    Honestly, you can't keep it from hanging.

I broke my fib on a run, fell in a pot hole.
    could've easily been a sprain as well.

In my opinion, there are some injuries you can prevent (overuse ones by training and recovering smartly) but sprains, strains, and fractures can happen even if you're doing everything right
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    I would like to think I could have been less susceptible to the injury though - maybe been stronger/quicker. The way it happened was pretty unpreventable, I guess, but if I could have stronger muscles supporting the joints, not weaker - it should help, I would think.

Pot hole - yikes, that sounds awful. I pulled my foot straight down and away (hyperextended it), pulling the tendons apart and then whipped it forward to catch my fall and slammed it down on the concrete, providing me with a nice, little stress fracture somewhere in there. Lovely experience. In front of a gazillion (okay, maybe five) tourists. :( I picked up the pace back to the car though - adrenaline.

Can't wait to run.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't think there's much to be done about avoiding traumatic injuries besides sitting in your recliner yelling at the talking heads on TV all day. :/

As far as a safe return to running while minimizing risks of overuse injuries once you're ready, this is the best program I know about:
    http://kemibe.com/distancecoach/labreports/stressfracture.shtml

Obviously listening to your PT is paramount. (I know you know, but I had to say it anyway.)
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Thanks for this. I'll take a look. I thought I'd take a stab and see if anyone knew of a magic protective ankle forcefield. Guess not. :/;)
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    Thanks for this. I'll take a look. I thought I'd take a stab and see if anyone knew of a magic protective ankle forcefield. Guess not. :/;)

I can send you my walking boot... lol
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Once injured, you are prone to injury again. I have been there and done that and also runners knee. Just have to nurse the joint, ligaments and muscles the best you can. Ice is my best friend after every run.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    After many years of ankle sprains (soccer) I finally had surgery last year. It was pretty messed up, and I have no cartilage left. But I'm back to running. Some things aren't preventable. However, taking the time to rehab properly can make you less susceptible to repeat injuries. My PT firmly believed that building hip strength would help support the ankle. I don't know if that's really true or not. I'm sure your PT will have specific exercises for you. Be patient, do the rehab, and build back up slowly. Yeah it's torture, but rushing it doesn't help in the long run.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »

I can send you my walking boot... lol

Haha got one ... was more like a wolf in sheep's clothing ... I ended up developing tendonitis from it. And tendonitis in my forearm from the crutches, too - some kind of *pain* (almost worse than the ankle). [complain, complain, complain ...] My doc was shaking his head at me - the therapies were creating new problems. Do/did you use a rolling thing where you can put your leg up on it? I never did but I almost wish I had. But that's all past me now, thankfully ... just need to keep moving forward. Hope you can, too!
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Gia and Ka - thank you. Ice, yes - I am so bad about that. I think if I just make it part of the routine, it would help me to get it done. And strengthening the hips - that's what I'm talking about. My PT says the same thing - a network of large muscle groups that take the stress off the little ones - need to focus on that maybe.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Yeah, I don't think there's much to be done about avoiding traumatic injuries besides sitting in your recliner yelling at the talking heads on TV all day. :/

As far as a safe return to running while minimizing risks of overuse injuries once you're ready, this is the best program I know about:
    http://kemibe.com/distancecoach/labreports/stressfracture.shtml

Obviously listening to your PT is paramount. (I know you know, but I had to say it anyway.)

This is great - thanks for passing it along. My PT gave me a water running program, too - must try that this week. It sounds like a good opportunity to look very foolish to those who don't get it ... :/