cleanse/detox

Options
2»

Replies

• Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I did a three week cleanse in May, supervised by a physician from Northwestern Hospital.

The first week, all of us gave up: sugar, dairy, and any processed food. We were allowed protein powder (Thorne MediaClear), steamed veggies (Hamilton Beach makes an awesome steamer for about $25.00 on Amazon.), moderate whole fruit.
    No caffeine, no alcohol.

I lost a couple of lbs, but even better, I lost the craving for processed foods.

there are lots of crazy cleanses out there, but the goal of a cleanse is to eliminate foods which may not "agree" with your body (called proinflammatory foods.) A cleanse really isn't buying some package off the web or at Whole Foods, it is eliminating foods, seeing how you feel without eating them, and gradually adding foods back to see if you still feel good or if you start to feel worst.

I resumed drinking a couple of cups of coffee a day (nothing like the 6 to 10 cups I drank previously), no longer drink soda, no products made from flour or sugar. I don't do dairy anymore. It takes some thought, planning and commitment...but...

It has been worth it!

For the first time in memory, I sleep well, I have energy throughout the day, I get up without an alarm clock, my skin has never been clearer and I'm not suffering from my usual seasonal allergies.

GL!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I did a three week cleanse in May, supervised by a physician from Northwestern Hospital.

The first week, all of us gave up: sugar, dairy, and any processed food. We were allowed protein powder (Thorne MediaClear), steamed veggies (Hamilton Beach makes an awesome steamer for about $25.00 on Amazon.), moderate whole fruit.
    No caffeine, no alcohol.

I lost a couple of lbs, but even better, I lost the craving for processed foods.

there are lots of crazy cleanses out there, but the goal of a cleanse is to eliminate foods which may not "agree" with your body (called proinflammatory foods.) A cleanse really isn't buying some package off the web or at Whole Foods, it is eliminating foods, seeing how you feel without eating them, and gradually adding foods back to see if you still feel good or if you start to feel worst.

I resumed drinking a couple of cups of coffee a day (nothing like the 6 to 10 cups I drank previously), no longer drink soda, no products made from flour or sugar. I don't do dairy anymore. It takes some thought, planning and commitment...but...

It has been worth it!

For the first time in memory, I sleep well, I have energy throughout the day, I get up without an alarm clock, my skin has never been clearer and I'm not suffering from my usual seasonal allergies.

GL!

This doesn't sound like a cleanse. It sounds like a regimen for determining whether you have food intolerances. Did they tell you that you were removing toxins? If so, did they tell you which specific toxins were removed that would not have been removed by normally functioning liver and kidneys?
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Eat healthy and drink water and you'll be golden. No crazy detoxes, cleanses, or laxatives needed.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Make sure you anti-oxidize, and get rid of any free radicals. Then you'll be at level 6 of diet woo.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I think we can spend a lot of time debating cleanse, toxins, elimination, allergens.

What I wanted:

To be free to cravings.

To feel awesome.

The result of this "cleanse", "detox", "elimination" was that I ...am free of cravings and I feel awesome.
  • trishklein
    trishklein Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    When I wanted to detox after I quit drinking, I would soak for 20-30 minutes in Epsom Salt. This has really worked for me, after soaking one a day for a few days I didn't get the detox headaches and flu like symptoms that I got before when I stopped drinking alcohol, so I am guessing that it will help you as well. It sure won't hurt. Also, drink enough water, and if you add lemon to the water, that helps your body detox also. Just a few simple things that won't empty your pockets. :) Blessings!
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    This should be good....grabs a beer and popcorn.

The beer and popcorn cleanse. I can get behind that.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    The best cleanse is a lot of fruits and vegetables especially greens. The main thing about eating more fruits and vegetables is eating plenty of calories.
  • WalkingAway2013
    Options

For them trying to sell a $300 "Cleanse" program you would think they would have came up with better lies.