Jealous or supportive???

Options
I have a friend who tells everyone about my weight loss success. She focuses on how far I've come & the 'before' compared to now. Although I am proud of my accomplishments, I don't want to dwell or share the 'before'. Frankly, I'm embarrassed of it and would prefer it not be broadcasted to friends and sometimes strangers. I'd rather focus on the present & my current state.

I've told her twice that it bothers me yet, she did it again yesterday. I've noticed two things in all the instances: she has drank several glasses of wine & there are men in the conversation.

What's your opinion...is she being supportive or is she jealous?

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ya know, most of the time I read these threads, it's obvious that the OPs are delusional. In this case, based on the info you gave.....it does sound like ratchet behavior is afoot.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ask her...when she is sober.

I always tell my son if you want to know why someone does/says something ask them...

We can only guess...and knowing us women it's jealousy...as if to say yah look at her now but....
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Considering you already told her to stop - she is jealous. Do you get the feeling she is bringing it up to embarrass you?

Unfriend her, block her- have nothing to do with her if she continues with her behaviors.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    dakotababy wrote: »
    Considering you already told her to stop - she is jealous. Do you get the feeling she is bringing it up to embarrass you?

Unfriend her, block her- have nothing to do with her if she continues with her behaviors.

That's harsh...friends you take them as they are esp real friends who might be having some of their own issues...
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Sounds like she's throwing a wrench into your game.
  • Sapphiretransformed
    Sapphiretransformed Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My brother, believe it or not, does that with me and my older brother that has lost a significant amount of way the healthy way.. He would about the post A LOT and had even posted pix of us when we were fat without or permission. Thankfully it blew up in his face Cuz ppl kept complimenting us on the weight loss.(BTW he use to be the skinny one in the family, now he's the fat one. Lol) . Your friend probably is hating on you and hates that fact that you are no longer the fat friend and wants ppl to know what you use to look like so they can be turned off by you. Tell her to kick rocks!!!!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Maybe she's pushing you into the limelight so that her own issue(s) aren't noticed?

Or maybe she's genuinely proud of you?

I mean, your problem would be solved if you have a sit down talk with her. Just ask her. If she's your friend I think it's important to discuss the issue with her instead of going through suppositions with a bunch of internet strangers that only know one side of the story.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Ya know, most of the time I read these threads, it's obvious that the OPs are delusional. In this case, based on the info you gave.....it does sound like ratchet behavior is afoot.

Yeah same, obviously intimidated by you.
  • StacyJ8888
    StacyJ8888 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My mother and a co-worker used to do the same thing. I would be introduced as formerly fat to new people, as if that was the only remarkable thing about me as a human being. I am pretty sure my mother used it to keep me in my place. The co-worker? We worked at Lane Bryant at the time, I am sure it was more of an explanation as to why they had someone working there that wore small/medium. I gained it all back after a work injury/bad marriage, but I am losing again and my mother has started getting mean again, but since I am still large it is mostly criticism for food choices, using MFP and a food scale and once in awhile outright saying "F*** you" when I lose another pound, she is kind of insecure and determines worth on appearance...ok she is abusive and pretty much mirrors my ex now that I have this new divorced perspective..yes I married my mother. I grew up hearing "no man is ever going to love you if you are fat", "better lose weight now before you get a stretch mark, because it's all over once you get that first stretch mark, no man will want you"...I was 7 or 8 at the time.

I would steer clear of your friend, she is having some issues with perception of herself because you changed your appearance. You broke rank, you will be shamed for it, she will make sure you stay fat one way or another.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I know part of her is happy for me. She has worked out her entire adult life and has struggled herself.

I believe part of the issue is she does not like the positive attention I'm getting from men...men that she may be interested in. Last night while we were out she mentioned she thought a guy was attractive. Eventually we started talking and his attention was directed toward me, even though I tried to deflect it to her. That's when she started talking about my weight loss.

In all other respects she is a good friend & we've already discussed the issue (sober! Lol). I agree I need to ask her again... in a non confrontational way... why she brought it up again & reiterate that its my issue to discuss, my weight loss, my body, not hers.

Thanks for being my sounding board!
  • whirlygig60
    whirlygig60 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it's just a good story and she doesn't have many stories to use in small talk situations
  • funjen1972
    Options
    Perhaps it's just a good story and she doesn't have many stories to use in small talk situations

Oh, I had not considered that perspective!
  • blueyellowhorse
    blueyellowhorse Posts: 708 Member
    Options

I don't get how it's a good story if the conversation didn't have anything to do with weight, eating, or fitness. I assume she randomly brings it up, right?
  • blueyellowhorse
    blueyellowhorse Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Are you ladies both single? Is she on the hunt for a man? She probably views you as competition, which is crazy. You both can get great men, well maybe not her if she keeps up with that bitchy behavior...
  • funjen1972
    Options
    Are you ladies both single? Is she on the hunt for a man? She probably views you as competition, which is crazy. You both can get great men, well maybe not her if she keeps up with that bitchy behavior...
    Yes, we're both single. Dating is low on my priority list, but very important to her. She always wants to be in a relationship, but I enjoy being single.

Also, referring to the small talk perspective, the guy said i looked good & he could tell I work out. That's when she started in with my weight loss.
    I guess this could go anyway...
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »

Oh, I had not considered that perspective!

Good point. I hate jumping to the jealousy thing, and I only say that because OP already talked to her about it 2x. But this kind of makes sense too.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Im usually the one to point out that the friend couldve just been making small talk, or was just happy for you......but not this time..i think your friend is jealous. If this happens again, i'd reevaluate the friendship
  • JTB51
    JTB51 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This all depends on how she announces it. Does it come across sounding malicious? Or sounding proud? If she is saying it to men, sound like she is trying to help hook you up.
  • Kathy379
    Kathy379 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Just based on the info given, she doesn't sound like she's being very supportive, especially since you've already asked her to stop doing that. Next time she does it, just firmly tell her that you'd really appreciate if she'd stop, and if she doesn't, Id drop her as a friend. Life is too short to be around those who make us feel bad. (In my opinion!)