Alcohol

Options
hello everyone.
i had a kids free house last night and felt like having a drink or 2.
Does anyone have good suggestions about what the best alcohol is?
as far as i can tell it would be vodka with some low calorie soft drink.
however when i put the wine i like into the database it came up
with more calories but absolutely no sugar which i thought was weird being
its very sweet ( gossip lips sweet moscato)
any ideas for drinks that are low calories but also low in sugar?

Replies

• vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Typically any clear spirit is lower in calories and in sugar, depending on what it is distilled from? I usually stick to bacardi and cherry coke zero or vodka and monster zero.
  • ChanceTakr2131
    Options
    I usually do a glass or two of wine.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/32276-types-hard-alcohol-sugars-carbs/

ETA: A lot of the alcohol entries in the MFP database are added by users who're entering only calories, so carb/sugar data will be missing. Your best bet (for low carb / low sugar) is going to be hard liquor + "diet" drinks, if you don't mind the artificial sweetener.

Google's just added nutrition info searches to their search engine, which might help you with the wine... Just search for: how much sugar in wine
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    Skinny Girl Vodka is pretty good, same with the other skinny girl products. I mix them with diet coke (fiancee likes it with tonic water and lime). Tequila can get kinda high, but it's my favorite. Just measure and it won't be so bad. :)

I drink a 5oz glass of Riesling every so often and it's only like, 110 cal. :)
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    453.gif
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and don't drink any. Over the course of a life time it can really add up. I wish I had never started.
    No alcohol is the best. I know thats not realistic for some but I do have regrets. Usually when I drink I lose the resolve to stick to my eating goals. Then you are looking at even more calories.
    Best wishes.
  • joanyz
    joanyz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    not a beer drinker? because Bud 55 or Miller 64 is not THAT bad...
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    hello everyone.
    i had a kids free house last night and felt like having a drink or 2.
    Does anyone have good suggestions about what the best alcohol is?
    as far as i can tell it would be vodka with some low calorie soft drink.
    however when i put the wine i like into the database it came up
    with more calories but absolutely no sugar which i thought was weird being
    its very sweet ( gossip lips sweet moscato)
    any ideas for drinks that are low calories but also low in sugar?

Alcohol, as in ethyl alcohol, the main ingredient is 7 calories per gram (Carbs, Protein are 4, Fat is 9). So a standard 1.5 ounce 80 proof (40% alcohol by volume) shot has about 96 calories. You can't really get lower than that unless you drink less than a full serving.

It seem unlikely that calorie count will differ significantly from one liquor to another. Other than the alcohol it's mostly just water, and the portions are small. We're talking maybe 1-2 calories difference between a serving of vodka and whiskey.

Anything that's not distilled is another matter. There are carbohydrates and even a tiny bit of protein providing additional calories in wine and beer. (Also mixed drinks, cordials and Liqueurs may have tons of sugar in addition to alcohol calories.)

If you really want to drink, but also keep calories as low as possible, get your favorite hard liquor, straight or on the rocks. Or use a low or no calorie mixer

...Or don't worry about it for 2 drinks. I mean if you like wine or beer go for it. We're talking about an extra 25-50 calories per serving. Not exactly a diet crusher if taken in moderation.
  • rainrain83
    rainrain83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone such good suggestions
  • rainrain83
    rainrain83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    thanks i have never seen bud in australia but i know we do have miller
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I think many moscatos are around 150 calories per glass.
  • MrsWells1983
    MrsWells1983 Posts: 160
    Options
    The gossip sweet lips moscato is one of my faves. As is Brown Brothers Cienna. No suggestions on the cal front sorry, but it's still nice to be able to enjoy a glass or (a few) of my fave alcohol.

I also drink beer and the XXXX Summer Bright is low carb and low cal. Can't remember what the cal content was but it was pretty low, as is Carlton Dry.

*EDIT* just checked and the XXXX summer is 99cal and the Dry is 117cal.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Just quick info: alcohol inhibits glycogen and fat use for energy while it's in your system. Reason why is alcohol is directly absorbed into the intestines and used for energy over other macro nutrients.

While moderate alcohol intake is good for health, try not to let it be your last drink before bed (since that's when the most body fat is burned).

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rajendra82
    rajendra82 Posts: 20
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and don't drink any. Over the course of a life time it can really add up. I wish I had never started.
    No alcohol is the best. I know thats not realistic for some but I do have regrets. Usually when I drink I lose the resolve to stick to my eating goals. Then you are looking at even more calories.
    Best wishes.

Medically speaking, no alcohol is worse than 2-3 drinks a day for a man, and 1-2 drinks a day for a woman. So moderate alcohol is the best, no alcohol is the second best, and heavy drinking is the worst.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Just quick info: alcohol inhibits glycogen and fat use for energy while it's in your system. Reason why is alcohol is directly absorbed into the intestines and used for energy over other macro nutrients.

While moderate alcohol intake is good for health, try not to let it be your last drink before bed (since that's when the most body fat is burned).

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Looks like I'm doing it all wrong :)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Medically speaking, no alcohol is worse than 2-3 drinks a day for a man, and 1-2 drinks a day for a woman. So moderate alcohol is the best, no alcohol is the second best, and heavy drinking is the worst.

Doh!
  • melwharris91
    melwharris91 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I like to drink absolut mandarn with sparking water and a squeeze of lme.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Moderation_zpsa62d4785.jpg
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

TEQUILA!

or mescal. but you don't really get good mescal outside of mexico.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

TEQUILA!

or mescal. but you don't really get good mescal outside of mexico.

I'm with those guys! That is good stuff!!!!