New owner of slow cooker! Ideas?

Options
KaryLoaiza88
KaryLoaiza88 Posts: 106 Member
Hi!

I bought a slow cooker, I've been looking for recipes but most of them are quite unhealthy, any ideas you can share for meal prepping? I appreciate it, thank you.

Replies

• morgiee_lynne
    morgiee_lynne Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts, salsa. BOOM. best way to make shredded chicken!
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts, salsa. BOOM. best way to make shredded chicken!

Totally chucked that in my slow cooker this morning. Going to have some tonight on top of brown rice with sour cream...mmmmmmmm
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you call "healthy." If you need protein, put in some kind of meat. If you need more low calorie vegetables, use broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, etc.
  • ccourcha
    ccourcha Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    pork butt (shoulder) for shedder pork too. Just made a great no bean texas chili too over the weekend in mine.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    You can find slo cooker recipes for most anything. Try allrecipes.com& Skinnytaste.....both give nutrition info.Soup is very easy,using broth,seasonings,any veggies you have.....along with a small amount of protein.Can add a can or two of drained beans......on low all day. Super yummy & low cal.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I switch the soup in most of my slow cooker recipes with stock (chicken stock, beef stock, or veggie stock). Makes the meal healthier........but not creamy.
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Barbacoa - 2 pounds of rump roast and a package of La Frontera Barbacoa sauce. Follow the instructions and you will have the best taco meat. I made mine into 6 servings with 4 corn tortillas each, for less than a 600 calorie dinner. Very filling!
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast and franks red hot, another great way to get shredded chicken packed with flavor.
  • MamaJ1974
    MamaJ1974 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    My go-to for the slow cooker is baked potato soup.

Cut up 2.5 pounds of potatoes, half a yellow onion. Put in the slow cooker with four cups of chicken broth (or four cups of water and some chicken buillion), minced garlic, and seasoned salt. Leave it on low for eight hours or high for four hours. Then add 4 ounces of neufchatel cheese and blend it all with an immersion blender. Serve with bacon, green onions, broccoli, whatever you would put on a baked potato soup.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    From MFP I learned to "roast" my chicken in my crock pot. I rest the chicken on a metal trivet and keep the slow cooker on high for about five hours. Easy peasy. The last time I put a few potatoes in there, roasting away in the chicken juices. Very good.

My family loves this turkey chili.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    three bean chili. tomato sauce pinto beans kidney beans chili beans peppers of all colors an onion, cumman, chili pepper, red pepper, garlic, peprika, black pepper..cook 7 hours put on bread with grated cheddar
  • ReikiLove
    ReikiLove Posts: 26 Member
    Options
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have found many good recipes on Allrecipes, Skinnytaste, and various diabetic recipe sites. Just google "healthy slow cooker recipes" and you will get a bunch more options.

And because I have been waiting to use this:

dswih3vtfb5c.jpg

• techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Beans beans and more beans. Whole beans, refried beans, black beans, etc.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I have found many good recipes on Allrecipes, Skinnytaste, and various diabetic recipe sites. Just google "healthy slow cooker recipes" and you will get a bunch more options.

And because I have been waiting to use this:

dswih3vtfb5c.jpg

So this is more about turtles than tortoises (despite it being a different animal, your pic reminded me)...

I saw my first snapping turtle this year on the road 2 days ago. That reminds me that I should get some kind of container to keep in my car so I can harvest one if I happen to see one crossing the road again. It's too bad I didn't have a container to put it in because the one I saw was quite large. I'd like to get some turtle meat this year.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cooking-style/slow-cooker-recipes

Taste of Home _always_ has really tasty food.
    Hard to go wrong with them.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    beef roast, potatoes, carrots, brown gravy mix and onion soup mix