How do you get your protein in?

Options
mhoward685
mhoward685 Posts: 129 Member
100g is a whole lot of protein. I have problems getting past 30g. I will eat meat, fish, chicken and eggs. I have been trying protein bars and shakes. Suggestions? I was protein deficient bad enough where my hair was falling out and not growing hair well, nails splitting etc. Now that I understand what protein will do I am making a concentrated effort but it seems like that's all I get to eat. Other bonus I noticed - my sugar leveled out and I don't crave food as much as I did. Have not lost weight though.

Replies

• brilliantwords
    brilliantwords Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I personally dont understand difficulty getting to 100g with meat, as I typically get anywhere from 80-120g and I don't even eat any meat or fish since Im vegetarian. I get it from eggs, tofu/soy, protein shakes, milk, cheese, and legumes.

Have you considered filling in the nutritional gap with a protein shake added to your day if you find it difficult to get enough from regular foods?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    You haven't logged recently, so it's kind of hard to give suggestions. Chicken, beef, and pork usually have @ 25g per a 4 oz serving. A couple of eggs will give you another 15g. A serving of Greek yogurt is usually @ another 15. A scoop of a decent protein powder would give you 20-25ish. Add in smaller amounts from beans and grains and that would get you there.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Instead of thinking of putting together meals, I put together collections of high protein foods.
    I eat one fruit a day. I eat no traditional carbs of bread or even oatmeal.
    I do not like meat so I eat some eggs, some cheese, and an occasional plain yogurt with nuts.
    I eat beans, lentils, nuts (almonds and macadamias are relatively low carb), tons of broccoli, leafy greens, and, some days, protein bars.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    mhoward685 wrote: »
    100g is a whole lot of protein. I have problems getting past 30g. I will eat meat, fish, chicken and eggs. I have been trying protein bars and shakes. Suggestions? I was protein deficient bad enough where my hair was falling out and not growing hair well, nails splitting etc. Now that I understand what protein will do I am making a concentrated effort but it seems like that's all I get to eat. Other bonus I noticed - my sugar leveled out and I don't crave food as much as I did. Have not lost weight though.

100g seems a lot. You might not need that. Calculate protein requirements based on Lean Body Mass.
    It is VERY important to get enough fats and oils too. :)

• WheyistheWay
    WheyistheWay Posts: 7 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I love a scoop of flavored whey protein powder in 1/2 cup Quaker oats made with Fairlife 2% milk. 400 calories and 42g protein for breakfast.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I also have no problem hitting my protein goals - my meals generally revolve around a 3-4 oz protein portion which is approximately 20-25g pro right there (not even including additional protein from what else is in my meal). 3 meals a day with a snack or 2, my day is done.

If necessary and to make things easier for you maybe try supplementing with a protein shake or bar or something - usually 25-30g right there. There are minimum requirements for protein and as you mentioned you could develop serious issues with deficiencies.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I hit 170g a day easily (competitive figure athlete before the 0.8grams crew come in to flame me... :p ).

I split my protein macro up over my 6 meals to make it manageable. I already did 26g for breakfast with 3 egg whites, 2 small boneless ham steaks and 2 slices of ezekial bread. My 2nd meal will be 1 cup of greek yogurt, 3rd will be 4 oz lean protein with veggies and potato etc etc

Just takes a little planning :)
  • jonnybhoy
    jonnybhoy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I get mine in meat haven't felt the need for protein supplements
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Food
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    My first suggestion would be to log consistently, of the few days that you did only one was under 100g of protein. Eat different types of meat and add some fish to vary your diet. Greek yogurt is also packed with protein and you can add in some dairy. I love my protein milkshakes and protein Greek yogurt mixes with different whey proteins. Nuts can also be a good source of protein. There are many options out there with a little research that seem like treats rather than getting enough protein. If you are low every now and then it's not going to hurt either. But the first thing you need to do is get back to logging consistently.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Chicken
    Ground turkey
    Quinoa
    Greek yogurt
    Protein powder
    Protein bars

75% of my protein comes from these sources.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, beans, seeds/nuts, eggs,beef/chicken/poultry are most of the sources for me. I do substitute a protein shake or add protein powder to my oatmeal during the week too. As far as protein bars I consider them a snack on days I don't get enough in my usual diet. For me Quest bars taste the best, but its all a matter of opinion.

And 100g is not a lot. My daily goal is 117 and typically I exceed that.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I hit 170g a day easily (competitive figure athlete before the 0.8grams crew come in to flame me... :p ).

I split my protein macro up over my 6 meals to make it manageable. I already did 26g for breakfast with 3 egg whites, 2 small boneless ham steaks and 2 slices of ezekial bread. My 2nd meal will be 1 cup of greek yogurt, 3rd will be 4 oz lean protein with veggies and potato etc etc

Just takes a little planning :)

I don't find that much protein hard to get either....

At the moment, the majority of my protein is Kangaroo, steak, chicken, and salmon every day.

I would pre plan, work out how many meals you want and divide protein evenly between them. Work out your favourite sources and work out your meals protein first. Add fats and carbs to suit after that

OP, not sure how you struggle to get 30g protein but claim that protein seems to be all you get to eat. That would be 120 calories.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Meat!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    meat, beans, eggs, greek yogurt, cheese and milk have some
    try a high protein cereal
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I get over 30 easily in most meals. Basically I just focus on having a protein source and veggies at all meals and then fill in after that based on what I'm in the mood for. What that means is that I usually have eggs for breakfast plus some other source of protein (typically dairy or smoked salmon) and have meat (often fish), beans, or tofu with most other meals. Sometimes I do oatmeal for breakfast and then I usually add protein powder to it.

I'm generally around 120 without trying hard (I think that's more than necessary and don't fret if I get less, but that tends to be how I like to eat).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    In the winter I get in lots of food protein.

Eggs, cheese, seafood, fish, meat in general etc.

Summer I don't eat a lot of warm breakfasts so I've been using protein powder in my smoothie...

I prefer to get protein in with food not bars or powders but will use them if i Have to .
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I have no problem getting 110g most days.

Eggs, Greek yogurt, meat... heck even veggies. I actually almost never rely on protein powder/bars.

Obviously if your goal is too low it's going to be hard though, but I never had to eat less than 1650 calories to lose 80 pounds.

Ps - I see that, again, people mentioned nuts. They're not a good source of protein. Ignore it.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I've found that the difficulty in getting enough protein lies in fitting that into calories, particularly if there is also a lot of fat with that protein. I find it hard to believe 30g is difficult, though, unless you are eating primarily carbs and bacon.

Here's what I have found for high protein:calorie ratios (i.e. efficient sources of protein):

-Protein powders
    -Quest bars
    -Chicken
    -"light" Greek yogurts (such as the 80-100 calorie cups)