What to do when you can't run (knee injury).

Options
My morning:

Me: Agh, my knee is a little sore from overuse. Shrug. I'm sure it'll be fine! Running! Running! Running is so great! The sun is shining and everything is happy! Run! Run! Run! Left! Right! Left! OOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

...And I blew my knee out. It's not terrible, but it bruised itself and is kinda sore. I really should give it at least a couple days of rest.

Does anyone have any ideas for:

1. A speedy knee recovery?

2. Cardio that I might be able to do for a couple of days that might be kinder on my silly knee? I do not enjoy resting.

Replies

• kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    I have an achilles injury right now...so I feel you. Try swimming if you have access to a pool. That's what I did after knee surgery / after tearing a ligament. It helped me recover. Anything low impact. Try any kind of yoga and pilates (youtube for ideas) that is geared towards staying on the ground. I hope you feel better!!!
  • A_Beach07
    A_Beach07 Posts: 1
    Options
    About two years ago I dislocated my knee, so I know the issues a bad knee can cause. I can't run on it because it still causes me pain when I try. During my physical therapy, I was made to ride a stationary bike. It's a lot gentler on my bad knee, and I can still get my cardio in.
  • kristenegeorge
    kristenegeorge Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I currently am not allowed to run due to a torn ligament, so I try to go out and bike as much as possible, and do some cross training like swimming. If that gets boring, then I stick to walking or weight training. Hope your knee gets better soon!!
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Can you run on the elliptical? I'm a bigger guy so running on the treadmill is difficult for me so I run on the elliptical and never have any knee issues. It's kinda nice because if it's a nicer one it'll change the resistance automatically for you to keep your heart rate up.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees from working on my feet all my life! I have been running for 5 years with bad knees and I only stop when I actually hurt them; then I stop long enough for them to get better. T prevent them from getting worse, I take Glucosamine + Chondroitin and wear knee straps (on both knees) every time I workout running or not,
  • goshnames
    goshnames Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Ooo, elliptical sounds like a fun idea. I don't have a gym membership, but I could always get a trial pass for a few days while I "rest" my knee.

No pool access either. Bah!

I'll look into glucosamine and chondroitin as well. I don't really know what they do as of right now! My knee has been getting progressively more annoying though, so I'm willing to try anything. Running is the only exercise that I really love. I'd hate to have to give it up someday!
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat:

1) swimming
    2) stationary bike
    3) pool running [with a vest to take the weight off your knees]

Good luck!