HRM and Zumba calories?

Options
I just got an HRM today (with chest strap) and I was going to run today but it started raining. So I did about 40 minutes of zumba on my own. I go to class twice a week so I know a lot of the song routines. Anyway, after 40 minutes my HRM said 746 calories burned! That really doesn't seem right to me...I do 60 minutes of zumba in class, I can't believe I'm burning around 800-900 calories in 60 minutes.
Does anyone else burn this much? I've actually hit the weight plateau and I've been stuck there for about 4 weeks. I've been calculating 600 calories and I eat them back, if I'm really burning this much shouldn't I still be losing weight?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    What brand of HRM did you get? Maybe double check the settings? Did it have you enter your info - gender, height, weight, etc?
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I only get about 400 to 500 doing zumba. I been doing it for over a year. Not sure if that makes a difference.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I get between 500 and 900 cals per 55 minute class. It depends on the instructor and type (toning vs regular, etc...). I have a polar ft7
  • xxhieixx
    xxhieixx Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I bought a Pyle HRM. I did put in my age, weight, etc. I tested it out when I was just sitting, standing, walking and also compared it with the heart rate app and it seemed fine. While I was working out I kept checking what my HR was and it all seemed fine, it was anywhere from 146-186. At the end it said my max was 186. I also kept it on a little bit after I was done to make sure it went back down and it did. I don't know...it just seems weird lol. I don't get why I stopped losing weight if I'm burning so much, maybe because I'm not eating all my calories back? I have it set to 1200 a day.
    Also, my zumba class is very high intense and she's more hip hop? Not sure how else to describe it lol. Lots of jumping, hoping, kicking, punching, hip movement. Not sure if that helps any
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    If your only eating 1200 calories and not eating your exercise cals back you are eating WAY too little.
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I did a very fast-paced hip hop style Zumba class today. 60 minute class, my HRM said I burned 701 calories.
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I burn about 600 cals in zumba class, more if I am able to jump as much as the instructor..I personally think it's possible i'm not the only one that burns that much in my class, I have a Polar F4
  • xxhieixx
    Options
    If your only eating 1200 calories and not eating your exercise cals back you are eating WAY too little.
    Before I got the HRM I was calculating 600 since I had to guess and I ate that back. According to my HRM though I'm missing about 200-300 calories. If I really am burning that much I have no idea what else I'm going to eat. Guess I'll have a big breakfast and lunch on those days
  • xxhieixx
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers :) I'll just periodically check on my HRM when I'm working out. Sometimes after a really intense song we stop for a few seconds so maybe I can check it with my app and compare during that time. Hopefully the problem is I'm not eating enough. Guess I'll find out if I start gaining weight lol
  • hilaryhill
    hilaryhill Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I just did a Zumba workout (with youtube videos lol) and I have a Polar HRM. It said I burned 544 cal in 55 mins. Im 5'9 and 196lb right now. How much you burn is dependent a lot on how tall you are and how much you weigh already. So yes its going to vary with everyone.