re-comp or bulk?

Hi guys.

I am nearing my bodyweight goal and am mentally preparing for the next phase. Its harder going the closer I get! Self sabotage and complacency are slowing me down so I think focussing on the next step and the next goal will help.

I lift weights 3 times a week (madcow programme) and circuit train twice a week. My goal initially was to loose weight and nothing more but since I started lifting almost 3 years ago body shape and BFP have become more relevant.

I am 42 yrs old, female, currently 146lbs aiming for 140lbs. I have no idea what my BFP is but I'd guess its around 20/25%. I know I came to the party a little late (I kick myself every day that I didnt start this 20 years ago!) but I think I have the genetics to pull off a pretty lean and muscular body with the right diet and training even in my advanced years!

My question is, what's the difference between a re-comp and a bulk? I am doing a hypertropic training programme with the aim of building muscle and I am seeing some gains; mostly in my arms as I am doing upper body exercises that never used to be a part of my routine. Although I am eating at a 250 deficit and am loosing 'weight' I am still seeing gains which is perfect!

When I hit my body weight target I plan to up the calories by 250 (which will be maintenance) for 4 weeks then reassess. I'm hoping that will help me bulk up my muscles whilst gaining the least amount of fat. Is that a bulk or a pre-comp or are they really the same thing?

Thanks in advance for any tips, advice or opinion on my current programme.

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    edited June 2015
    Bulk is a calorie surplus.
    250+ calories over maintenance.

Recomp is eating at maintenence and lifting.

There's a how to bulk guide in the gaining weight forum.
    and usmcmp wrote a thread on recomp a few weeks ago. I'll be nice and try to find it for you

ETA: bulk thread http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners/p1

ETA 2: recomp thread http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited June 2015
    Calories are the difference between recomp and bulk.
    Obviously that's simplistic as there are both physical and emotional issues around which choice you make.

In addition to reading the very good (and mercifully free of derp!) recomp thread posted above have a read of this from
    Bret Contreras....

http://bretcontreras.com/to-bulk-and-cut-or-not/

My opinion would be to find maintenance calories first whichever option you choose. Maintenance levels may not be quite as simplistic to find as you assume! Changing calories in can also affect your calories out....

While you are thinking about your options at maintenance you are recomping anyway so monitor your progress carefully to see how much you are progressing. That will help your decision.

This doesn't actually compute!
    When I hit my body weight target I plan to up the calories by 250 (which will be maintenance) for 4 weeks then reassess. I'm hoping that will help me bulk up my muscles whilst gaining the least amount of fat.
    You won't be gaining any fat recomping at maintenance, recomp is losing fat & gaining muscle.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Thanks Guys

I'll have a read of all the links when I get to sit down for longer than 2 minutes, hopefully this evening.

From what you have both said I think finding maintenance rather than anything else should be my focus for the immediate future. I think I've probably fallen into the trap of assuming 'bulk' and 'cut' is the way to go. Instead I should be enjoying my exercise of choice and reaping the benefits that it has on my shape. I am prone to over-thinking things sometimes.

I am currently loosing approx 0.5lb a week on a 250 deficit (according to MFP). If my diet isn't tight I maintain. Once I loose this last 6lbs I will up it by 250 (or maybe increments of 100?) and monitor whilst still training.

From reading the basics I think recomp (eating at maintenance) feels better for me. Having been overweight for so long the idea of trying to gain weight is a little scary so maintaining makes me feel more comfortable.
    When I hit my body weight target I plan to up the calories by 250 (which will be maintenance) for 4 weeks then reassess. I'm hoping that will help me bulk up my muscles whilst gaining the least amount of fat.
    You won't be gaining any fat recomping at maintenance, recomp is losing fat & gaining muscle.[/quote]

Reading that comment again I see that it doesn't make sense to worry about fat gain when eating at maintenance. That's another reason to recomp rather than bulk.

• sijomial
    Aside from the recomp or bulk/cut choice I think it's really important to just get used to, and enjoy, the new you. I was a chubster for 20 years and it takes some getting used to!

I'm all for setting new goals but also celebrate and enjoy your success. In time you may decide to change your weight goal, strength/training goals, composition etc etc. What you choose now isn't forever.

• kindrabbit
    If recomp is eating at maintenance and lifting - presumably with the goal of growing muscle size - and bulking is eating at a calorie surplus and lifting to grow muscle size and subsequent fat. Is that right? I don't see the benefit in a bulk over a recomp. (except you get to eat more yummy food :))

sijomial wrote: »
    Aside from the recomp or bulk/cut choice I think it's really important to just get used to, and enjoy, the new you. I was a chubster for 20 years and it takes some getting used to!

I'm all for setting new goals but also celebrate and enjoy your success. In time you may decide to change your weight goal, strength/training goals, composition etc etc. What you choose now isn't forever.

This is great advice and I will take it. I should just relax and enjoy my new lifestyle and my new body and the health benefits it brings. The last 6lbs are coming off slowly and when I hit 140lb I will decide if I want to drop more BFP or if I will try and maintain. Providing I can grow some muscle size I think what is called a recomp will be my best bet.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited June 2015
    I think the Recomp process takes much longer to get/see results.
    But i'd personally rather Recomp than Bulk/Cut tbh.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    If recomp is eating at maintenance and lifting - presumably with the goal of growing muscle size - and bulking is eating at a calorie surplus and lifting to grow muscle size and subsequent fat. Is that right? I don't see the benefit in a bulk over a recomp. (except you get to eat more yummy food :))

This is great advice and I will take it. I should just relax and enjoy my new lifestyle and my new body and the health benefits it brings. The last 6lbs are coming off slowly and when I hit 140lb I will decide if I want to drop more BFP or if I will try and maintain. Providing I can grow some muscle size I think what is called a recomp will be my best bet.

Why not read the threads that were previously linked since they're both very thorough and will answer your questions. They both explain their respective process.
  • kindrabbit

Why not read the threads that were previously linked since they're both very thorough and will answer your questions. They both explain their respective process.
    Thanks Guys

I'll have a read of all the links when I get to sit down for longer than 2 minutes, hopefully this evening.

• kindrabbit

I think I feel the same. I fear the fat gain. Why do you prefer recomp?
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member

I think I feel the same. I fear the fat gain. Why do you prefer recomp?

Like you, i don't want to gain Fat...plus a recomp just seems like "less hassle".
    I don't mind waiting longer to see results, there's no rush. ;)
  • sijomial

@Karen_libert

Sorry missed this question. Briefly and simplistically everyone's bodies are cycling through the day between anabolic and catabolic states - depending on food digestion etc.

So a calorie deficit alters the balance as does a calorie surplus. A surplus gives you more opportunity to grow as you will be anabolic more often. Think of it as a continuum - not a switch that gets thrown at or under TDEE.

However, calories are just one of many limits on speed of growth - training status, training history, age, gender, genetic potential....

A young, male, relatively few training years, below genetic potential is very likely to be able to use those excess calories in a surplus very well to speed up muscle growth.
    An old fart like me with 40 training years, close to lifetime strength bests is just going to get fat in a surplus. My limits are really age, injury and recovery related.