Not eating breakfast :)

Options

Replies

• RobertWilkens
    RobertWilkens Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I actually had a doctor who last week told me it's reasonable to have two cups of coffee w/ Half-and-half (which has calories) for breakfast (figure 150-200 calories), and that would be a reasonable amount of calories and helpful to weight loss efforts. I like the idea (coffee is a good source of energy for day).

Any "real world" opinions on this? I'm struggling right now with whether or not to have half a bagel as well, or maybe save the bagel for lunch.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Not eating breakfast made be hard on your health, but it doesn't impact your weight.

No, eating breakfast is a personal preference, nothing more.
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    There was a report on Science Daily (attack them, not me) that published a report that with "SOME" people, found their metabolisms slowed down between meals. So the more smaller meals they ate the higher amount of calories they had throughout the day (tdee). If you're one of these people, skipping meals will lower your total allowable calories for that day.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/05/150511162918.htm

*edit for link
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Weight loss issues aside I like breakfast to make sure I have some complex carbs in me to manage my blood sugar levels and ensuring i have a supply of slow release energy. This helps me keep my focus and concentration better.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Here's a good read.

http://www.lift-heavy.com/intermittent-fasting/

Don't let the "lift heavy" bit put you off. It's not broscience. It's a scientific review of all the studies done on intermittent fasting.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    There was a report on Science Daily (attack them, not me) that published a report that with "SOME" people, found their metabolisms slowed down between meals. So the more smaller meals they ate the higher amount of calories they had throughout the day (tdee). If you're one of these people, skipping meals will lower your total allowable calories for that day.

That's ... not a problem. Part of metabolic functioning is going to be involved in food digestion. A great deal of our daily fat burning happens while we sleep. Surely you wouldn't suggest that we should be awake and eating then instead?

The truth of the matter is that meal timing to "rev" metabolism is hogwash.

• conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    but you are eating three meals a day. What time is Lunch? I think this is actually your breakfast.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Not eating breakfast made be hard on your health, but it doesn't impact your weight.

oh really?

how so?

I have read that going without eating for extended periods of time can cause your blood pressure to rise.

Do you have a source for this?

I saw it here: forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2013/07/23/why-is-skipping-breakfast-so-bad-for-our-heart-health/
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

That's ... not a problem. Part of metabolic functioning is going to be involved in food digestion. A great deal of our daily fat burning happens while we sleep. Surely you wouldn't suggest that we should be awake and eating then instead?

The truth of the matter is that meal timing to "rev" metabolism is hogwash.

I added the link to my original post.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

oh really?

how so?

I have read that going without eating for extended periods of time can cause your blood pressure to rise.

I saw it here: forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2013/07/23/why-is-skipping-breakfast-so-bad-for-our-heart-health/

Thanks.
    Men who skipped breakfast were 27% more likely to experience heart attack or to die as the result of coronary heart disease. The men who skipped breakfast were more likely to be single, smokers, employed full-time, to drink more alcohol, were younger, and were less likely to be physically active than people who ate breakfast. Controlling for a slew of these and other risk factor for heart disease – like alcohol consumption, smoking history, body mass index, regular doctor visits, quality of diet, TV watching, activity level, and sleep habits – did reduce the link between skipping breakfast and heart disease, but didn’t obliterate it. The number of times per day the men ate wasn’t linked to heart risk.

I didn't read the study itself, but right off the bat, it seems like the high blood pressure may be more linked to the other factors and a stressful lifestyle than the actual breakfast part.

If you don't eat breakfast and live an otherwise healthy lifestyle, I don't see why it would be an issue. What about all the people who have improved their health and weight on programs like IF?
  • courtneylykins5
    courtneylykins5 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I actually had a doctor who last week told me it's reasonable to have two cups of coffee w/ Half-and-half (which has calories) for breakfast (figure 150-200 calories), and that would be a reasonable amount of calories and helpful to weight loss efforts. I like the idea (coffee is a good source of energy for day).

Any "real world" opinions on this? I'm struggling right now with whether or not to have half a bagel as well, or maybe save the bagel for lunch.

This is totally personal experience so take it how you will. I have only ever had coffee first thing in the morning for more years than I like to count. This is the only time I feel full and satisfied on a liquid. As far as weight loss efforts, for me it's better not to eat too many calories early in the day as I prefer to have more later at night (around 8pm). Filling up on coffee early on helps tremendously.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

This is totally personal experience so take it how you will. I have only ever had coffee first thing in the morning for more years than I like to count. This is the only time I feel full and satisfied on a liquid. As far as weight loss efforts, for me it's better not to eat too many calories early in the day as I prefer to have more later at night (around 8pm). Filling up on coffee early on helps tremendously.

Caffeine is a mild appetite suppresant :smile:
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

oh really?

how so?

So can exercise!!!

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

oh really?

how so?

So can exercise!!!

Weight lifting, yes, but cardio actually lowers your blood pressure. Of course, since weight lifting often results in weight loss, the end result is that it also lowers blood pressure.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

oh really?

how so?

so what if I eat breakfast and skip lunch and dinner, will that also raise blood pressure?

and please provide a source for this...
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you're eating enough calories through the day, the timing really doesn't matter. Personally I prefer to eat breakfast because I'm hungry when I wake up. I like to eat something small with my coffee. It just sort of helps me get going and sort of signal the start of my day!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

oh really?

how so?

Thanks.
    Men who skipped breakfast were 27% more likely to experience heart attack or to die as the result of coronary heart disease. The men who skipped breakfast were more likely to be single, smokers, employed full-time, to drink more alcohol, were younger, and were less likely to be physically active than people who ate breakfast. Controlling for a slew of these and other risk factor for heart disease – like alcohol consumption, smoking history, body mass index, regular doctor visits, quality of diet, TV watching, activity level, and sleep habits – did reduce the link between skipping breakfast and heart disease, but didn’t obliterate it. The number of times per day the men ate wasn’t linked to heart risk.

I didn't read the study itself, but right off the bat, it seems like the high blood pressure may be more linked to the other factors and a stressful lifestyle than the actual breakfast part.

If you don't eat breakfast and live an otherwise healthy lifestyle, I don't see why it would be an issue. What about all the people who have improved their health and weight on programs like IF?

Exactly what I pulled from the article.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

oh really?

how so?

Thanks.

This is from the abstract (the article does not link to the full study)

Eating habits, including breakfast eating, were assessed in 1992 in 26 902 American men 45 to 82 years of age from the Health Professionals Follow-up Study who were free of cardiovascular disease and cancer. During 16 years of follow-up, 1527 incident CHD cases were diagnosed.

so they followed 27000 men from age 45 to 82 and found that some of them died from heart attacks..there is no information on body weight, eating habits, etc, etc, of these people, so it is impossible to claim that this was linked to not eating breakfast.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic it is recommended that I eat breakfast and should eat approximately every 3-4 hours. Eating breakfast doesn't mean you have to eat what is thought of as "breakfast" foods. I use to work nights, 7 pm to 5am. I would eat "dinner" when I got up, have something in the middle of my shift and then eat "breakfast" when I got home before I went to bed. The whole idea of breakfast is to break the "fast". Considering you probably haven't eaten anything for 10 to 12 hours your body needs that energy to get going in the morning. Whether or not you eat breakfast has little to do with weight lose unless it affects how much you eat throughout your day.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    The purpose of eating every 3-4 hours is to maintain a more even blood glucose level.