jogging interval

If I am jogging intervals of 2 mins or less and not really running steadily for 2 miles or more, do I still need to rest a day in between sessions?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    If you are just starting out and haven't been running long then a rest day in between is best. You can still walk on those rest days though.

Even though your running intervals are 2 min you are putting a new stress on your legs. They need time, 3 months or more, to strengthen bones, tendons, ligaments, and muscles so that you can run more often without a great risk of injuring yourself.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    scottb81 wrote: »
    If you are just starting out and haven't been running long then a rest day in between is best. You can still walk on those rest days though.

Even though your running intervals are 2 min you are putting a new stress on your legs. They need time, 3 months or more, to strengthen bones, tendons, ligaments, and muscles so that you can run more often without a great risk of injuring yourself.

^^^ This.....

On your non running days you can slow bike, swim, strength train etc etc all of which will compliment your running and decrease the chances of a running injury.
  • bcruz313
    bcruz313 Posts: 56 Member
    Gotcha. I'm not totally new to running, but it's been a while since I've done it consistently. I've mostly been doing zumba or dvds for the past year.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    There's no reason you need to rest but you should avoid high impact activities like Zumba or other DVDs. Most of the time I see people in here complaining that they hurt while running it's because they're doing something like the 30 Day Shred on the days they don't run. Or they don't have the right shoes.
  • bcruz313
    bcruz313 Posts: 56 Member
    Why shouldn't I do zumba? I only do it 1-2x per week. Never on the days I get on the treadmill unless I just walk.