Low energy/lethargic some weeks

Options
sxb317
sxb317 Posts: 14 Member
About few months ago, I returned to having a consistent exercise/fitness regimen. (after a hiatus due to babies). It consists of Orange Theory Fitness 2 days a week, run/interval training another couple days and some walks/hikes, strength training in between. I take a rest day every few days. I am also trying to eat healthy but by no means on a restrictive diet. The thing that has been tough to figure out is that some weeks I totally kill it in my workouts, finish strong and some weeks I'm so lethargic that I barely can run more than a mile. It is a bit of a motivation killer as it doesn't seem related to anything like food, sleep, etc. Instead of getting stronger in time it feels 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has tips on maintaining energy levels and avoiding fatigue.

Thanks!

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Stats and calorie consumption?
  • Sangsterr
    Sangsterr Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    There's a few factors to consider here, without knowing your eating patterns etc its hard to tell what is causing your fatigue. Another could be motivation on some days. By the sounds of it it could be down to what you're consuming in my opinion, timing certain foods will give you a boost in energy and a decrease in fatigue
  • sxb317
    Options
    Sorry, new to the site.. not sure what are relevant stats but 39yo,140lb, 5'7''.. Calorie consumption around 1400 plus eat back most of exercise calories.. . Diet vegetarian with some fish included. Do drink 1-2 glasses a wine a day Weight loss not a huge part of my goal but losing 5-10 lbs would be a nice bonus to get me back to optimum weight. Just want to get stronger, run faster, etc.
  • sxb317
    Options
    Also I do most of my exercise early in the morning (around 6am) so I don't eat beforehand. I wonder if that's a contributing factor.
  • Sangsterr
    Options
    What do you consume before a workout? Certain foods are going to help provide energy for them
  • Sangsterr
    Options
    That can have an effect on your performance. Have you had similar amounts of rest before the workouts that you smashed and the ones you didn't ?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I certainly have good days and bad days without any detectable pattern. Most runners will tell you that bad runs happen to all of us. You get out the door, have it your head that you're going to have a great run and 1/2 mile in you already feel like heading home. We struggle through or cut it short and know that the next run is going to be better. As long as every session isn't awful what you're going through is normal. If it starts to get to the point that you're feeling lethargic for every session then you'll want to look at your food consumption (composition and total calorie intake) and your sleep patterns.
  • QueenKristine77
    QueenKristine77 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I certainly have good days and bad days without any detectable pattern. Most runners will tell you that bad runs happen to all of us. You get out the door, have it your head that you're going to have a great run and 1/2 mile in you already feel like heading home. We struggle through or cut it short and know that the next run is going to be better. As long as every session isn't awful what you're going through is normal. If it starts to get to the point that you're feeling lethargic for every session then you'll want to look at your food consumption (composition and total calorie intake) and your sleep patterns.

This happens to me at least once a week :smiley:

• sxb317
    Options
    Very true and I certainly don't expect to crush each workout but the variation in performance seem pretty huge. No detectable pattern on rest between good/bad workouts. Had Sunday/Monday off after hard workouts on Friday/Saturday for example and felt well rested but today's run was a bad one. Maybe it is all in my head :-)
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have noticed this in myself for YEARS. Some days I kill it. Some days it kills me. On occasion (rarely, but still), I feel like I just can't move. I make myself work out whether I feel like it or not. Most days, I feel better after. Every now and then, I just don't.
  • Sangsterr
    Options
    If you're feeling pretty tired and need a little pick me up before a session I recommend a coffee with coconut oil for a massive boost of an apple for the quick source of energy :)