High Cholesterol

Options
KTorg2014
KTorg2014 Posts: 9 Member
So the doc told me I have HC...BAD! I need to lower it. Does anyone have any ideas on good foods (meals) and snacks that I could eat that will help lower the HC?! I started taking Fish Oil three times per day and I am watching what I am eating ... as far as calories go, but if anyone has any advice on HC and diet, I would be very appreciative!

Replies

• Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I began my lifestyle change on January 4 and had lost 36 pounds by the time I went to my doctor for my annual check up in mid-May. My cholesterol as a whole has dropped 40 points; my LDL (Bad) had dropped 30, my HDL (Good) had gained 20 points, and my triglycerides had dropped 30 points! I typically ate light activia yogurt with walnuts for breakfast, though on occasion, but rarely would eat some oatmeal. I have eaten tons of vegetables, typically roasted with olive oil. Had an occasional steak, but most meats were chicken or fish. I enjoy wine, so after my first 4-6 weeks, I added that back in, mostly reds. All I know is that my cholesterol had been over 225 for the past 8+ years and after losing the weight my doctor was thrilled to see it in the 180s. No supplements needed. I just try to eat the perimeter of the grocery store - FRESH foods. And my exercise routine (if you want to call it that) consisted of the elliptical once a week, and walking 4 miles once or twice a week. Everyone has different methods, so you will just have to try to find what works best for you. Try to avoid having to take a medication for High Cholesterol and work on eating healthy and weight loss if needed. Good luck to you!
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Here's some info:
    TLC Diet - a diet for high cholesterol heart disease recommended by AHA
    Written by Gloria Tsang, RD of HealthCastle.com

(HealthCastle.com) The TLC diet was introduced in May 2001 when the National Cholesterol Education Program NCEP released new diet guidelines for people with high cholesterol and risks of heart disease. The American Heart Association AHA accepted and endorsed this report and began incorporating these recommendations into its materials on dietary and lifestyle change for people with high blood cholesterol. For people at high risk or who have known cardiovascular disease, NCEP and AHA now recommend the new Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes TLC diet to replace the "old" Step 1 and Step 2 diets.

Summary of the TLC Diet for High Cholesterol
    Total Fat 25% total calories
    Saturated fat < 7% total calories
    Polyunsaturated fat up to 10% total calories
    Monounsaturated fat up to 20% total calories
    Cholesterol <200 mg/dL

Carbohydrates 50% - 60% total calories
    Plant Sterols 2g
    Soluble Fiber such as psyllium 10g - 25g

Protein ~15% total calories

Examples of food in the TLC Diet:
    Lean Meat/Fish/alternatives < 5 oz/day
    Eggs < 2 yolks/wk (whites unlimited)
    Low Fat Dairy 2 - 3 servings/day (<1% fat)
    Fats/Oils < 6 - 8 teaspoons/day
    Grains, especially whole grains >6 servings
    Vegetables 3 - 5 servings/day
    Fruits 2 - 4 servings/day

Basically, replace saturated fats with poly- or monounsaturated fats; eat healthy foods--whole grains, veggies, fruits, etc.
    I eat fat-free milk products, fat-free or low-fat breads, condiments, and lean meats (baked, grilled--not fried). I do not eat much cheese at all. Fruits and veggies are already, primarily, fat-free or low fat.
    And drink lots of water and plain teas. They help flush digestive toxins from your system. :drinker:
  • taylorgirl
    taylorgirl Posts: 81
    Options
    After being on medication for 5 or 6 yrs for HC I began a serious attempted to improve my health and fitness level to come off meds. I eliminated process food, minimized deserts (e.g. muffins, donuts, ice cream) anything high in saturated fat. Switched from butter to promise and concentrated on foods with healthy fats ( mono & polyunsaturated fat) e.g. as alvacados. Banish mayo, dressings heavy with bad fats. Veggies & fruits replaced bad snacks (cookies, chips ect.). Finally this year after loosing "65" lbs my cholestrol was down to 155. My LDL (good) was a whopping 78!!! I am now officially off meds and continuing to EAT CLEAN and workout 5-6 days a week which has been the major factor in staying healthy and fit!
  • sherry2626
    sherry2626 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi... Well I recieved my serve HC problems from my family. Even on meds I had a rude awaking last month. It was finally over 300 that's the total. I have jumped started this Life change of eating habits. I have Lost 15lbs so far which I pray I lose much more before my recheck in July. But so far everything everyone has said is very great ways of lowering your #'s
    I saw the nutritionist and a few things she did tell me is fist size portions stick to that it truley helps. Also when shopping look at your labels low fat etc... But one thing that did stand out in my mind is If your comparing a couple things the item with higher dietary fiber is the one you would want to choose. Even if there is a couple numbers different. This has helped me. Also this weekend I bought some Milled Flaxseed you can add it to cerals, smoothies, oatmeal, salads etc. And it to helps. And Plenty of exercise. I wish you all the best of luck.