Problem with sodium

Options
Laroka
Laroka Posts: 60 Member
Ok, so I am planning my meals for tomorrow, and I can't help but to go over on my sodium. Any ideas for low sodium foods for main dishes and snacks?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Do you have high blood pressure or problems with your kidneys ? If not, don't worry about sodium.
  • Laroka
    Options
    Well, I have had problems with my blood pressure before, and I don't want to have high blood pressure again.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Easy - avoid processed foods, and some restaurant foods. Those seem to have higher sodium than homemade food or foods listed as low sodium. Chinese food has msg which is high sodium, so if you can find a way to get it low sodium, that should help :)
  • Laroka
    Options
    thank you. I do love chines. If I treat myself its usually chines or ice cream. I think I might try to find healthier alternatives to chines food.
  • mscote12
    mscote12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I always go over my sodium...like today, I had Progresso Light Chicken Noodle Soup...soup is awful when it comes to sodium due to the broth, I drain almost all of the broth out and replace it with water. I leave just enough broth to still give it that flavor-I am no scientist and have no way of REALLY knowing, but I like to think it cuts down the sodium SOME by doing that lol

I love salt--on almost everything lol which doesnt help me....but I do what I can...and when I do go over (which is honestly everyday) I dont let it bother me.

I drink a lot of water too! :wink:
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I never come close to hitting my sodium (typically around 1000-1200 max), I eat no processed food or things out of a can. When I cut canned food I cut my sodium overnight.

Good luck.
  • WolowitzTimestwo
    WolowitzTimestwo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I Agree with no processed or restaurant food. I am only allowed a ridiculous small amount if sodium per day ( high blood pressure) so I measure that out each day and add it by hand to my homecooked foods.
    Voila!!! I even have some left over sometimes.
  • trudieobrien
    trudieobrien Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    use " NO SALT" it's sodium free and has lots of potassium
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I used to not worry about sodium but it does affect your weight even though it's just "water". It's still demotivating to gain 3 pounds on the scale overnight because you overdid the sodium. I love making soups homemade and use lower sodium broth b/c those cubes are pretty much all salt. Some foods are sneaky so track sodium on your profile and try and add what you will be eating to get an idea beforehand.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I will second and third no processed foods.
    Fish is good, but make sure you check it, some has added salt.
    Chicken breast is great.
    Watch your dressings and condiments, processed meats, cheese, sauces...
  • lisy28
    lisy28 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    OMG I AM A SALT FIEND!!! i cant get enough i knwo its bad but i love the salty goodness waaaaaaaaaaaaaa Im almost always over on sodium : //
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Keeping your sodium in check is tough. I spend more time in the grocery store comparing nutrition facts. Like you said..always go for the healthier option. That's all you can really do and of course drink that water.
  • fastfoodv
    fastfoodv Posts: 41
    Options
    Sodium can cause us to hold water. It can raise our blood pressure. Neither of these are good things. It’s recommended that we keep our daily sodium intake at 1500 mg. Just about everything has sodium, but some foods have far more than others. Cured meats, canned goods (except no salt added), sauces such as soy sauce, cheese, pickles, olives, frozen dinners, mashed potato and pancake mix are just a few. Most restaurants, from fast food to fine dining have many dishes that are high in sodium. Read nutrition facts labels to help you make the better choices. Also don’t add salt at the table or when cooking. We get enough without adding more!

Visit Lisa Tillinger Johansen, MS, RD at www.consultthedietitian.com and www.fastfoodvindication.com, on Facebook at Lisa Tillinger Johansen and on Twitter @LisaTJohansen.