Vacation w/Celiac, Diabetes, PCOS. Need Ideas!

Options
goalpeace
goalpeace Posts: 272 Member
So my kids have a few diseases that I need to cater to all the time but is especially difficult on vacation. I will have a kitchen and grill downstairs. I need to prepare 4 lunches and 4 dinners. Breakfast is taken care of there. Snacks are easy so I don't need help there.

We cannot have Gluten due to one of us having Celiac. Also, one of us has Diabetes and another has PCOS so we need to limit our carbs.

So far I plan on making tostadas, picking up GF corn dogs w/mustard, and getting some steaks. I'm going to Costco. Any ideas???

Yes, I should know what to do (I'm their Mom) but I don't want to bore them with the same ol thing every time we go on vacation which is 2-3 times per year.

Anyway, I'm looking for some of my MFP friends to help me brainstorm some ideas!!

Thank you!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    On the plus side, everyone in the family is going to benefit from watching the carbs!

How about shish kebabs? The kids can help spear the veggies and meats on. A little creativity.

Sloppy joes and cheese in corn taco shells. Bag salad. You're on holidays, too, yes?
  • goalpeace
    Options
    That's true! We do see it that way.

These are great ideas!! I am putting them on my list!
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Gluten free is tough, but given that you're also avoiding carbs, this is kinda a good mix of food related illnesses to balance since bread isn't great all around.

IA with the above, but maybe consider other corn tortilla recipes like chicken quesadillas or tacos in general
  • goalpeace
    Options
    Yes, we've had it for a few years and it is very tough to separate so we just try and all do it. We have beat the taco thing to the ground so I want to try and stay away from that. It's especially hard on vacations since I need to be very well prepared and make it "different" as well. :)
  • goalpeace
    Options
    Bumpity Bump Bump :) Still looking for ideas