The Splenda myth

Options
will having 2-3 packets of Splenda everyday (almost everyday) hinder my weight loss? There's all those studies out there about Splenda hindering weight loss and even causing weight gain. Has anyone else noticed that their consumption of Splenda has made it more difficult for them to lose or cause any health problems? I'm trying not to be ignorant or read too much into articles that are out there on the subject matter but I just want to know others experiences.

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    No.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Nope. I use 3 packets of splenda in my morning Greek yogurt (It helps to make it not taste as sour), and I'm still losing weight.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Every week I drink gallons and gallons of water sweetened with sucralose.

198vau3qk1sl.png
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    No. I've lost 45 pounds and have had Splenda every day.

Do know that each packet of Splenda has 4 calories thanks to the bulking agent. If you're going to use more than 2-3, they start to add up.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Nope! No effect at all. If you like it, have it!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of splenda, but it won't hinder anything. I prefer stevia myself.
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I use it in my coffee and tea everyday and I am down 25 pounds or so since February.
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options

Do know that each packet of Splenda has 4 calories thanks to the bulking agent. If you're going to use more than 2-3, they start to add up.

What!? I have 7-11 packets most days. I guess it doesn't matter though. I chew up to a pack of gum and each piece has 5 calories. These things average out. Still I didn't know that.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options

What!? I have 7-11 packets most days. I guess it doesn't matter though. I chew up to a pack of gum and each piece has 5 calories. These things average out. Still I didn't know that.

Yeah, I know that in the US they're allowed to say '0 calories' if it's less than 5 calories. Which is cool, I guess, as 4 calories is negligible. But it gets a bit misleading with things like '0 calorie' spray oil that is actually 4 calories per 'serve' (a half second spray) so you get people using like 4 times that and logging it as zero
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    That's a small amount. You'll be fine. All the studies where crazy things happen to mice have the mice eating like 100x what a human being would eat, or thereabouts.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The reason these articles think Splenda causes weight gain is normally because people think they are being good by using Splenda, and make up for it by over eating other things without realising how detrimental it is, and they gain weight. It's a correlation not causation issue, as (almost) all these articles claim.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options

Yeah, I know that in the US they're allowed to say '0 calories' if it's less than 5 calories. Which is cool, I guess, as 4 calories is negligible. But it gets a bit misleading with things like '0 calorie' spray oil that is actually 4 calories per 'serve' (a half second spray) so you get people using like 4 times that and logging it as zero

Um whaaaat? I had no idea of this! Says person who drinks tea with sucralose (0 cal) tsp but has like 6 cups of tea a day.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    The reason these articles think Splenda causes weight gain is normally because people think they are being good by using Splenda, and make up for it by over eating other things without realising how detrimental it is, and they gain weight. It's a correlation not causation issue, as (almost) all these articles claim.

I find this believable as @SimoneBee12 is wearing a cap and gown. smarts!
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I use an app called foodacate. This app grades foods from A to D-. I scanned every single artificial sweetener on the shelf and every one of them graded poorer than regular sugar (including splenda).

I use regular sugar, but I use it sparingly.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    tibby531 wrote: »

I find this believable as @SimoneBee12 is wearing a cap and gown. smarts!

Not only am I wearing the cap and gown, but it was for a scientific degree! So, you just have to believe me, it's science ;)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I buy giant boxes of granulated Splenda. Been doing it for years. I've been at my goal weight for a long time.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    I use an app called foodacate. This app grades foods from A to D-. I scanned every single artificial sweetener on the shelf and every one of them graded poorer than regular sugar (including splenda).

I use regular sugar, but I use it sparingly.

Sure because it grades foods based on how "real" they are, so anything with only one ingredient that isn't "real" will get a poor grade. That means absolutely nothing except that this app decided to grade things that way.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    i consume inordinate amounts of all kinds of sweeteners. Had no problem dropping over 170 pounds and staying there.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options

preach. that's the number 1 problem with all the stupid "scientific" articles people find on the ol' interwebs. Everyone needs to memorize and repeat...."correlation is not causation....correlation is not causation....". Remember this every time you open your web browser.