Do You Take a Multi Vitamin?

Options
I'm a believer in getting my nutrients from food, but I take a multi vitamin as insurance. I've read mixed things about taking vitamins and whether it's really helpful or a waste, so I often wonder if I'm throwing away my money. I had a recent wellness exam, and my doctor asked if I was taking one. She said that it's good and I definitely should continue. I'm nearing 50 so I take Centrum Silver, which has other things like calcium too. Just curious how many others take vitamins and how many think it's bunk.

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    i should find a good one. probably gonna pick up some prenatals on my next trip to target.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I take; cod liver oil, milk thistle, generic multi vit, & iodine. Probably do not a thing other than a placebo effect lol but it's what I personally find helps me.... Oh! forgot the probiotic doh!
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I take; cod liver oil, milk thistle, generic multi vit, & iodine. Probably do not a thing other than a placebo effect lol but it's what I personally find helps me.... Oh! forgot the probiotic doh!
    Actually there's some science behind milk thistle if you're taking it for your liver. I only know that because I had bad liver values in my bloodwork and someone here recommended it, so I read up on it. We'll see if it helps me when my bloodwork is repeated in two months. The nurse practitioner seemed to think I was an alkie and the irony is I rarely drink.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I take a prenatal vitamin, omega 3, and an extra calcium.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was recommended it by a girl at uni a few year's back & I take 1 tablet a day for general maintenance & 2 for a couple of days in the run up to the odd night out. It definately helps prevent any lingering hangovers the next day :) ... Definately will be interesting to see if it does have an impact for you.
  • oscarsson
    oscarsson Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know! I see in my macros that I am often not meeting 100% Vitamin D, A etc... I "know" that the "best" way it to get these vitamins from real food but does it help to top up with a supplement?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know! I see in my macros that I am often not meeting 100% Vitamin D, A etc... I "know" that the "best" way it to get these vitamins from real food but does it help to top up with a supplement?

Yes because contrary to popular belief you can't get every single nutrient that your body needs from food alone no matter how clean you eat.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I have the gummy ones. I'm 4.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    I'm a believer in getting my nutrients from food, but I take a multi vitamin as insurance. I've read mixed things about taking vitamins and whether it's really helpful or a waste, so I often wonder if I'm throwing away my money. I had a recent wellness exam, and my doctor asked if I was taking one. She said that it's good and I definitely should continue. I'm nearing 50 so I take Centrum Silver, which has other things like calcium too. Just curious how many others take vitamins and how many think it's bunk.

I take them, though like you I have some confusion based on conflicting information.

I don't know how helpful they truly are. I 'think' I have fewer cravings while taking them, but I don't know that such a perception is necessarily backed up by science.

Basically, I just don't know.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I take a generic version of the One-A-Day vitamin. It probably is a waste of money, but they were on sale and I figured "why the hell not"?
  • akshayam29
    akshayam29 Posts: 44
    Options
    I take a generic version of the One-A-Day vitamin. It probably is a waste of money, but they were on sale and I figured "why the hell not"?

http://www.multivitaminguide.org/

check the site for branded vitamin effectiveness....mostly 95% of the brands are useless. I have been using extendlife multivitamin and omega3 from 2 years.....really good...if u want can give a try. But pretty sure, worth every penny.
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I take a multi-vitamin daily (when I remember :blushing: ). I take Women's Alive
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 288
    Options
    I do take a multivitamin but I do like to get many nutrients from food. The vitamin is just to make sure I am not missing something. I do take Vitamin D supplement because I spend so much of the day in a office and don't get sun on a daily basis plus living in Western NY in the winter you can be deficient even out in the sun. My father has low vitamin D even tho he is out in the sun working on the farm I believe it maybe genetic and want to make sure I get enough.
  • fit4justme
    fit4justme Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I started a multi vitamin this past week. I am still trying to play around with my food intake. So far no matter what I eat with it - I feel sick afterwards.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Yes.. Why wouldn't you want more nutrients? The more the better.. When you cook your food you cook off some of those nutrients in food.. so you need to get it back one way or another.. take a multivitamin... won't hurt.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    I started a multi vitamin this past week. I am still trying to play around with my food intake. So far no matter what I eat with it - I feel sick afterwards.

Try a food sourced vitamin.

If that doesn't work, try one without minerals. Sometimes it's the minerals bothering us. (I once had to throw out a nearly full bottle of One A Day because the formulation made me feel ill every time that I took it. I tolerate Whole Foods Tinature very well and GNC's Ultra-Mega Green as well)
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    inb4 someone posts about how they get all the nutrients they needs from a well balanced diet