Want to Run!

Options
2»

Replies

• ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    OP - I was you a year ago, almost.

I had been walking for a month or so and just wanted to burn more calories! So I went to the back of a storage facility where no one could see me and started counting how many garage doors I could run past. It was pitiful distance. Like less than 5.

All summer long I would take walks and go past the storage facility and as long as no one was there getting their crap, I would try running around the back building. By the end of the summer I could go around it twice, circle back and do it again.

In January, I was much lighter (about 215ish?) and I begin C25K on the treadmill. When the weather got nicer, I began running outside where people could see me (with sunglasses (b/c like 2 year old, if they can't see my eyes then they can't really see me!) and earbuds so I could block out as much of the world as possible!). Note - going from treadmill to real world running is different; outside is way more interesting but harder, I slipped back 2-3 weeks in the program, but ultimately prevailed; by April I was running a full 5K.

3 MUST-DOs: 1. A good sports bra, the best $50 I ever spent, 2. GOOD running shoes, best $150 I ever spent. 3. Pay attention to your body. If something hurts/is achey... read up about proper warm-ups and stretches. I am friends with a HS Cross Country coach and his advice about proper stretching afterwards and taking my time in the process has been invaluable.

Good luck, runner! You'll get there!
  • sdcupples
    sdcupples Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm an overweight running newbie. Having a running buddy helps, but since we've started we've noticed that most people are cheering us on instead of tearing us down. Running is something a lot of people can't do overweight or not and good people respect anyone who is trying.