Gained large amount of weight overnight

okay so yesterday I was 176.6 today I was 180.3, why is this? Yesterday I ate 200 calories less than my goal so I should have lost weight or maintained at the least? Why did I gain close to 4 lbs over night, how is this possible?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Water retention, don't worry about it.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    water weight can cause weight gain. also weight loss isn't definitive. some days you will weigh more than others. keep at it! :smile:
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    -excessive sodium intake
    -hormones related to female reproductive system cycle
    -stress
    -new/increase in amount of exercise
    -bodily functions

All of those can cause weight gain, but it's not fat.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    My water weight fluctuates ~5lbs throughout the day, this is normal. Drink more, flush more.
  • deceived1
    deceived1 Posts: 281 Member
    Step on the scale at 8am. Step on the scale again at 7pm. These numbers will very likely be very different. As much as 5 pounds or more difference is possible. This is not "weight gained". These are normal body fluctuations. Same thing applies on a daily basis. Some days it'll be higher. You need to focus on how your weight is trending.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Weight loss is not linear so don't think of your weight as a static number. Instead it's really within a range of about 5 pounds. Every time you eat, drink, use the toilet, workout, etc. you're gaining or losing weight. You do this constantly throughout the day.

As long as your weight is trending downward overall, you're doing fine.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Also make sure you drop a deuce before you weigh yourself. :P
  • tannibal_lecter
    tannibal_lecter Posts: 83 Member
    Your blood can hold on to 4+ pounds of water. Stay hydrated and it will go away.

This happened to me two weeks ago, and I was super bummed. How could I have put on 3 pounds? Then the next week they were all gone again. Just don't quit what has worked up to this point.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited June 2015
    3 pounds and change.... "large amount" ... don't make me laugh.

I regularly have 4 to 6 pound daily fluctuations.

It's quite normal.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    -excessive sodium intake
    -hormones related to female reproductive system cycle
    -stress
    -new/increase in amount of exercise
    -bodily functions

All of those can cause weight gain, but it's not fat.

These. I always gain right before my period. Some women gain when they ovulate. And if you're not weighing yourself post-bathroom pre-water/food, you're not getting an accurate reading.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited June 2015
    water weight..will be gone over some days again

I am the winner till now in this thread....gained 10.6 pounds in two days In April lol @SergeantSausage
    poof just like that...
    And i really didn't eat 35.000 calories surplus in those 2 days lol

Lost it spread over a week plus a my 1 pound ( so lost around 12 pound in one week again)

Must be honest btw i have a sodium problem hehehe
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    I don't weigh myself daily for this very reason. It gets in my head. I weigh in weekly and, like others have said, follow the trend!

Also PrizePopple is right :)
  • SergeantSausage
    edited June 2015
    water weight..will be gone over some days again

I am the winner till now in this thread....gained 10.6 pounds in two days In April lol @SergeantSausage
    poof just like that...
    And i really didn't eat 35.000 calories surplus in those 2 days lol

Lost it spread over a week plus a my 1 pound ( so lost around 12 pound in one week again)

Must be honest btw i have a sodium problem hehehe

I've lost and regained that much in a day or two ... but not randomly or regularly... And always the same cause:

A mid-August full marathon (26.2 miles(98 degrees (F) (37 C )and 400% humidity here in The Ohio River Valley))) will do that much (and more) to nearly anyone who finishes. Lose it in 3 hours. Gain it back in a day or two. It's all water. Even a full marathon doesn't burn a pound of actual fat for most folks who run them.
    It's all water. Not fat.
  • BWBTrish
    dang thought i had a winner here lol ;)
  • SergeantSausage

You are a winner.

Have some sprinkles:

sprinkles_are_for_winners_by_xxxanimebellxxx-d8f4kba.jpg

• BWBTrish
    sprinklessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

and iceeeeeeeeeeeeee nom nom nom...and now i want icecream, and i am out of icecream danggg
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Don't forget to drop the chalupa before you weigh in the morning.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    now i want ice cream, and i am out of ice cream danggg
    I was going to have ice cream this afternoon.
    Took the second half of my lunch break around 3pm, walked about 1/3 mile down the street to a little
    cafe / coffee shop / ice cream shop... only to find that they closed at 3, and I arrived at 3:06. :frowning:
    I guess that was actually a good thing.
    So I stopped at a convenience store on the way back to work & got a popsicle.
    Probably better for me, right?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    18JessieS wrote: »
    okay so yesterday I was 176.6 today I was 180.3, why is this? Yesterday I ate 200 calories less than my goal so I should have lost weight or maintained at the least? Why did I gain close to 4 lbs over night, how is this possible?

You don't gain fat overnight, but you can retain water. It can be due to a variety of reasons, and weight fluctuations are very normal.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member

You are a winner.

Have some sprinkles:

sprinkles_are_for_winners_by_xxxanimebellxxx-d8f4kba.jpg

That looks GOOD!