Dieting as a Vegan

Options
Honestly ever since I became a vegan I've felt as though its a diet in itself. But I haven't lost weight? I eat less, I eat healthier for the most part. I just find it hard to believe I haven't lost much considering I had to cut almost all desserts, white bread, non-wheat pasta, ect. out of my diet. Is there anyone struggling with this same issue? Any advice?
Thanks so much

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Try logging your food intake. Veganism isnt a hot diet tip, you can lose or gain weight while eating vegan.
  • chrisskyedowling
    chrisskyedowling Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just restarted using this app and plan to log all my food intake from now on I'm just surprised I haven't lost really any weight. But thanks for the tip!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,011 Member
    Options
    I used to live on an ashram with a lot of vegans. They ate a ton of vegetables. (And did a lot of yoga.)

What are you doing for protein?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Do you become vegan to lose weight? If so- being vegan is not needed for weight loss.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    You haven't lost weight because you are eating too many calories.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Honestly ever since I became a vegan I've felt as though its a diet in itself. But I haven't lost weight? I eat less, I eat healthier for the most part. I just find it hard to believe I haven't lost much considering I had to cut almost all desserts, white bread, non-wheat pasta, ect. out of my diet. Is there anyone struggling with this same issue? Any advice?
    Thanks so much

Why are you a vegan? For moral reasons, or because you want to lose weight?

If it's for moral reasons, I respect that and I think you should start logging your foods. It's possible that you're now eating more calorie-dense foods like nut butter, even as you eat less food overall.

If it's for diet reasons--well, rethink it. It's not necessary for weight loss. You might be giving up low-calorie protein sources like fish unnecessarily here.

Either way, start logging your intake. Use a food scale. Because right now, you are eating more than you think.
  • marykate_1203
    marykate_1203 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've heard of individuals being called "garbage vegans" where they eat crappy with lots of carbs andsugar.. maybe logging your food in the morning?
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much
    Not a vegan, but curious why you can't have white bread or "non-wheat pasta"? I make bread all the time -- no eggs or animal products. And what is non-wheat pasta anyway? Other than egg noodles, I can't think of any pasta alternatives that non-vegans regularly consume. Just wondering.

Also, I had a friend who as vegetarian and his boyfriend used so say he was a "puddingtarian" because he didn't eat animal products, but he ate a ton of junk like pudding. What's your actual diet like?