New mom.. new year... new ME ❤

Hello all. I'm a new mom, first child in January! After delivery I have lost all my baby weight and an additional 15pounds! I went from 220 prepreg weight to currently 203. I would love to lose another 15. That's my first goal!

Can you all offer any advice? What should I set my intake goals at?

Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• littlehedgy
    littlehedgy Posts: 192 Member
    Congrats on the new little one and the weight loss! a couple of things to consider for your intake goals would be how active you are currently and whether or not you are currently breastfeeding. look up what your total daily energy expenditure would be that's a great step one
  • W_Stewart
    W_Stewart Posts: 237 Member
    Congratulations Mom!

I'd set it to lose 1.5 pounds a week, see how it works for you. You can adjust up or down.

I use the Runkeeper app to track calories burned during brief walks I squeeze in each day. I would try hard to get a couple short walks in, both to get some fresh air and to keep some activity going
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    May I add my congratulations! Don't set your goal calories too low. Babies are fun to exercise with! You can take them for walks in the stroller, sing to them while lifting them up in the air to the beat, dance with them in your arms, lift them up on your knees and/or ankles while holding their hands, walk around while holding them on your shoulders, bounce them on your knee; the list is endless. Of course, if your baby is likely to vomit, these may not work so well.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    I'm very practical when it comes to setting calorie goals. What I do and what I recommend to people is to eat at a calorie level that allows you to make good progress towards your goal. If you are trying to lose weight, eat so you drop 1-2 lbs/week. This assumes an average calorie burn from you getting in all of your workouts. This will be different for everyone, so you'll have to do some trial and error to figure it out. I'd start ~1600 cal/day. Hit this goal, along with your macros and getting in your workouts, for 2 weeks. If you lose 1-2 lbs/week, you're good to go. If you lose too much, increase your intake and repeat. If you don't lose enough, reduce your intake a bit and repeat. After a few cycles, you'll figure out what works for you in your situation.

If you're breastfeeding, then you'll need to eat a bit more.