What do you do when you're hungry before bed-time?

Options
Hey everyone!

I'm in quite the dilemma right now, as is my friend who's staying the night. We're both quite hungry and it will soon be time to go to sleep. Eating/binging before sleep has always been my 'comfort routine' but I realized how bad this is for my body. I've been drinking water all evening and feel quite hydrated; I just want to pig out. I had a snack about two hours ago; a Kellog's Special K Bar. I didn't starve myself today but it feels like my body doesn't appreciate the notion of being even the slightest bit hungry before bed.

So what do you do when a random hunger creeps up on you right before bedtime?

Replies

• rkcampbell
    rkcampbell Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I purposely save 200-300 calories for nighttime because I know I will be hungry. It's when I like to eat! Plan ahead for that snack!
  • Strawili
    Strawili Posts: 48 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Oh, I still have ~400 calories for today but I thought eating right before bed wasn't a good idea. :s
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I have a little nut & berry cluster thing I got from Mountain Man [they do candy & trail mixes], and just had a small cluster. If not that, maybe a few small grapes.

Don't go nutzo, but something small, low in calories, and healthy would be good. I can't fall asleep if I'm 'starving' [stomach actually growling], so when the cluster finally settles it, even temporarily... I'm asleep by the time it'd have been starting back up!
  • rkcampbell
    rkcampbell Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't know the time of day :) Enjoy!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    1. Don't eat. There is nothing wrong with being hungry occasionally.
    2. Have a reasonable snack, log it, move on. Do better tomorrow.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I always have a snack prior to bed. Just work it into your calorie goals. :)
  • Strawili
    Options
    Thank you everyone! :)

I might have a small snack. I started chewing a piece of gum (Stride Sour Patch Kids) and that seemed to occupy my stomach for the time being. If that doesn't work I might try a handful of high-fibre cereal.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I love having cereal before bed.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Oh, I still have ~400 calories for today but I thought eating right before bed wasn't a good idea. :s

Eating when you are actually hungry (and you probably are, given that you have an additional deficit of 400 calories added on to whatever you have made as your plan) is a good idea. My go-to is greek yogurt - plain with or without fresh fruit - gives me additional protein and calcium.
  • Strawili
    Options
    I'm a sucker for calcium, that's for sure. The first day I started I was over my daily requirement so I tried to tone it down a little today. I have some yogurt, granola, and strawberries waiting for me in the fridge for breakfast!
  • FreyaDisrud
    FreyaDisrud Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I good snack is veggie sticks. I'm eating it right now before bed actually
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I just go to bed. BUT I always go over my calories and eat around 2000 a day so I know I'm eating enough, I don't need any snacks before bed ;) If you have cals left and you're hungry - eat, girl!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I'm out of calories and it's bedtime and I'm hungry. Wish I could eat. Going to bed, though.
  • ccourcha
    ccourcha Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I go to bed hungry
  • RBracken34
    RBracken34 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I eat a chocolate flavored calcium supplement and go to bed.
  • ekgtec69
    ekgtec69 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I try to have an apple and peanut butter before bed. I was a big snacked at night before My Fitness Pal now I just save about 300 calories for snacks.
  • Xanna89
    Xanna89 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I drink a BIG glass of water and go to sleep.
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I love Options Hot Chocolate...about 40 calories a mug, though i sometimes add a little milk so ends up being about 80 depending on how much!
    Seems to fill me up if I'm nibbly at bedtime.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I think I'm a freak of nature, either that or people just don't realize how naturally lazy I am. I don't eat much and yet I don't get hungry often. Then again I work 11pm-7am, and I think that plays a role in my stomach deciding if I need to eat or not.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    A tablespoon of peanut butter on a slice of toast. Fat is a crucial part of feeling full for me, so cereal or vegetables just won't cut it if I want the feeling to last long enough to get to sleep.