Can you lose too much too quickly?

Options
mgonyer123
mgonyer123 Posts: 74 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I've went from eating what I want when I want to staying within my nutritional guidelines. I've went from basically seditary to doing the 30 day shred nearly daily.

I've lost 6lbs in 10 days. It's that too much? Are there drawbacks?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Would you happen to be a Beachbody coach?
  • mgonyer123
    Options
    No.....?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    mgonyer123 wrote: »
    I e we t from eating what I want when I want to stating within my nutritional guidelines. I've went from basically seditary to doing the 30 day shred nearly daily.

I've lost 6lbs in 10 days. It's that too much? Are there drawbacks?

Well the major drawback would be taking that as read as your weight loss because starting a new diet and water weight - it's quite common to get a huge loss up front and then it slow down or even stop

Keep going for 6-8 weeks and take an average weight loss per week over that time period .. if you are losing more than your goal adjust your calorie intake so that you take in more
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The initial huge drop is to be expected but after the first 1 - 2weeks a sensible and safe weight loss should slow to 1 - 2lbs a week.
  • mgonyer123
    Options
    Ok thanks!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Most likely water and totally normal. With 49 pounds to lose, you can do 1.5-2 pounds and will adjust it lower as you lose.
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Was it 10 days ago that you started? If so - you probably lost a lot of fluid as part of that weight. See what happens over a slightly longer period of time to get a more accurate picture of the speed with which you are losing the weight. For the rest - it's hard to tell if you are going at it to aggressively without having your stats (height, weight, number of calories you consume daily, activity level etc)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    The initial huge drop is water weight, when someone has a lot to lose thats perfectly normal...you'll find weight loss will slow down to 1 - 2lbs a week and this is more normal. All the best in your weight loss journey :smile:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Also try not to burn out

Remember the Tortoise and the Hare

We all make a huge commitment at the start and can do it on willpower .. the trick is to find a way that you can stick to for the long-haul

good luck
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    No.....?
    Yay. Sometimes when brand new people show up saying they've lost lots of weight, they're selling that ridiculous Beachbody stuff.

I wish I had the problem of losing too much, too fast. If I were you, I'd enjoy it. :)
  • mgonyer123
    Options
    That was my next question! How much (if any?) Calories Can/should be left over at the end of the day on MFP? Should you eat back the calories lost from exercising?

I have a deficit of 200-700 usually.
  • mgonyer123
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    No.....?
    Yay. Sometimes when brand new people show up saying they've lost lots of weight, they're selling that ridiculous Beachbody stuff.

I wish I had the problem of losing too much, too fast. If I were you, I'd enjoy it. :)

Lol ok I was wondering where that question came from. I don't know what a beach body coach is but they sound skinny and that's not me :D yet!

• mgonyer123
    Options
    Thank you!
  • rightoncommander
    rightoncommander Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    No.....?

First, 30-day shred isn't a Beachbody product.

Second, just because you've lost lots of weight and want to share that doesn't mean you have something to sell. I admit you do need to be wary of people's motives, but don't call them out with very little evidence.

Finally, what is "ridiculous" about Beachbody products? I am one of around 3,000 MFP members in the Insanity forum. If that product is "ridiculous", I don't mind being ridiculous, because it works. Admittedly I'm referring here to fitness rather than weight loss, but weight loss IS easier when you can consume 600-1000 calories more each day.
    That was my next question! How much (if any?) Calories Can/should be left over at the end of the day on MFP? Should you eat back the calories lost from exercising?

I have a deficit of 200-700 usually.
    IF you have a reliable method of measuring your exercise calorie burn, I suggest you log your lifestyle excluding your exercise, and yes, eat the calories back. If you don't, you risk burnout and losing other tissues than fat. If you can't measure your exercise calories reliably (something more accurate than MFP's estimate), I think you're better off accounting for that exercise in your lifestyle calculation, say moving from sedentary to moderately active. This will increase your daily calorie limit, and just eat to that instead. I log my lifestyle as sedentary because I have a desk job, but I exercise regularly and log that, too. I hope that helps.

What you shouldn't do is double-count your exercise on one hand, or try to "bank" exercise calories on the other.

• mgonyer123
    Options
    Ok I'm just doing 30 day shred and logging it as circuit training.

So you suggest I change my lifestyle calories and not eat back the exercise calories? (Just making sure I understand. I'm new sorry lol)