Dropping weight (montrealer)

Hey so after getting sick for 6 months and nearly 8 months off my work out wagon I am coming back. I have a clear image of what I want to obtain which is the old me, but the progress this time is just seeming to be much much slower. I'm not looking for quick tricks, I just feel stuck and I guess just need motivation to keep eating clean and gymming.

I presently do :smile:
Pole fitness 1xper week sometimes 2
Cardio 30min 4xper week
General toning exercises 4xper week
And I do my best with clean eating.

Any suggestions on what I can add?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Make sure you're eating in a calorie deficit...that's all there is to losing weight. Exercise can help the deficit, but isn't necessary, and "clean" eating doesn't ensure you're under your goal.
  • NuritAizenstros
    NuritAizenstros Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2015
    When I started the app, it wouldn't allow me to log my days because I was under the calorie amount- but I have been really focused on proteins which is something I used to struggle with a lot. Then speaking with a trainer friend he said to eat at the calorie amount of 1200-1500 depending on exercise and slowly lower that amount to avoid a plateau
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    I don’t know what “general toning exercises” are, but I’d add strength training in the form of a progressive lifting program (i.e. Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, Strong Curves).

I also don’t know what your weight goals are, but it’s probably unnecessary to eat as little as 1200 calories. Don’t do it unless you have to, i.e. you happen to be short and your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is low. Your trainer friend sounds like they’re perpetuating some common myths about weight loss. You don’t have to do anything with your calories aside from maintain a deficit. This thread by @bpetrosky covers some of these common myths nicely.
  • NuritAizenstros
    I used the goal set up by my fitness pal which was 1200 when I exercise it will go to about 1500 calories. Although I have a hard time eating more that 1200 calories and that might be the actual problem. Also do you find that working out in the morning is better than working out at night? This week I had a weird schedule so I've been night gymming and I find myself eating more later + losing less weight + and having less energy while at the gym.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    No, it does not matter when you work out or when you eat. I don’t understand how you can have a hard time eating more than 1200 calories. It’s widely recommended you use a food scale to weight all your food to ensure you’re not eating more than you think.

You might want to read through some of the information posted in this most helpful threads sticky. There are a lot of weight loss misconceptions flying around and this might help.
  • NuritAizenstros
    Thank you so much!